GLWC Fall Meet & Greet - Oct 2-4 @ Gilboa Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well right now, I may not be staying all weekend. I might go home early Saturday. Right now the weather looks pretty poor for Saturday. The in laws are having a 90th Birthday party for my mother in law. So I'm not going to sit around in the cold rain.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Don't worry, the forecast will change five times before the weekend. I've seen about 3-4 different forecasts for Sat-Sun that aren't even close to each other.

Hello!

I have freed up my weekend to come down diving! I would like to join you guys!

One thing about this thread: it's a bit of insiders talking to insiders: most of it revolves around "Let's do what we did last year!" The problem is, when you weren't there last year, you don't know what to do! :)

So... For a first timer, how does this work?

I'm planning on coming down Friday afternoon. I read rumors of a Friday night dive: I'm in. Where are people sleeping? I'm planning on staying until Sunday. I'm up for camping (sleeping in my van) if that's an option, or a hotel is nice too.

For Friday dinner, it sounds like most people are fending for themselves. I'm not sure what the Pit is, but if it's barbecue, count me in. There was also talk of sharing food on Saturday. How much food should I bring? I don't cook but I do shop... What about breakfasts and lunches? Anything specific, or on our own?

Anything else I should know? Bring? Not bring? :)

I'll do some more searches, but if there's another thread with info feel free to point me at it. I'm excited to meet up with some local divers! Thanks for the invite!

Hello!

One thing about this thread: it's a bit of insiders talking to insiders: most of it revolves around "Let's do what we did last year!" The problem is, when you weren't there last year, you don't know what to do! :)

I'm planning on coming down Friday afternoon. I read rumors of a Friday night dive: I'm in. Where are people sleeping? I'm planning on staying until Sunday. I'm up for camping (sleeping in my van) if that's an option, or a hotel is nice too.

For Friday dinner, it sounds like most people are fending for themselves. I'm not sure what the Pit is, but if it's barbecue, count me in. There was also talk of sharing food on Saturday. How much food should I bring? I don't cook but I do shop... What about breakfasts and lunches? Anything specific, or on our own?

I'll do some more searches, but if there's another thread with info feel free to point me at it. I'm excited to meet up with some local divers! Thanks for the invite!
Hello tmassey, we are sorry to confuse you. We talk and joke around like that, trying to stir up some interest for new people to join us. I guess we did a poor job.

So here is what you need to know.
People will be at the quarry from early Friday morning, until early afternoon Sunday. Diving will be taking place at all times. You can dive with any body or if you want to dive just ask someone will for sure join you.

People stay all weekend in tents sleep in their car or RV. The camping is primitive so sleeping in your van is allowed.

The red pig is a restaurant in Ottawa, some folks used to eat dinner and have a few adult beverages there on Friday. This year it looks like everyone is opting to just cook the animal of their choice on the camp fire at the quarry. Breakfast is usually a community event or not. It's up to you. Someone will have a grill going. So bring some eggs or donuts. Saturday afternoon we have a pot luck or carry in meal. Bring your favorite recipe dish to pass. Or bring a bag a chips. As you can see we are pretty laid back. Nothing two complicated.

We only have 2 rules 1. You can consume as much adult beverages as you like. But once you have your first your done diving for the day.
2. What happens at MNG stays at MNG.

Oh thanks to one of our members I won't mention any names but he is really, really old and goes by barracuda2 we had to add rule number 3. If your going to dive deep please make sure you file a deep plan with the owner of Gilboa.

That's it. I hope I cleared some things up for you. I hope we see you any look forward to meeting you.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Hello!

Ted covered everything in the post above. Come on out and join us! If you have any remaining questions, just post them here or PM me or Ted or really anyone who has posted on the thread above.

Y'all have fun; looks like a good weekend for it, and in my mind, October is best time of year for diving; add friends and camping - doesn't get any better.

It was another good M&G. The weather certainly could have been better, but it also could have been much worse. I had a great time catching up and diving with friends that I don't see often enough. We even had a few new folks join us which is just FANTASTIC!

Until next year......

Back
Top Bottom