Go Pro 8 or Paralenz??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a Paralenz as a video-note device.
I used it extensively for a few months before the rotating selector became hard to use. It was my own fault as I was not really rinsing it after diving...
I contacted the danish HQ and got top free service from Adrianna.
I don't get the ranting about the non alignment of the end cap.

I used it extensively for a few months before the rotating selector became hard to use. It was my own fault as I was not really rinsing it after diving...
Adrianna has been great and very responsive.
Can't please everyone. Some people just love to complain. Adrianna has been great

I was given Paralenz (the first model) as a gift, the camera was never used in water before I laid my hands on it.

I used it on two cave dives where it worked flawlessly (although I found the sliding selector to be non-responsive on occasions.)

On the following two cave dives, it either switched the recording on for 10 seconds or did not want to start recording at all.

The next thing that happened, is that the sliding selector could not turn on any options of the selector, apart from switching the camera off after a long pull. But even that leads to a camera restarting itself rather than switching itself off. To switch it off I had to long-pull on the slider, then when the camera switched itself off I had to rotate the selector to other-than-on/off position - if not, the camera just switched itself on again.

I let the camera sit for few days switched off, turned it back on, and pulled on the sliding selector - it started the recording but that was it - no more inputs were being recorded from the pull-selector. Had to switch the camera off using the technique described above. If let switched on, the camera drained the battery slowly until it was restarting itself again like crazy, as the juice was not enough to bring it fully back up.

Did the hard firmware update - no change.

Spoke to Adrianna, was told I can send it at my cost for repairs. I agreed (the camera was out of warranty already as it was purchased by my friend more than a year before).

After sending it to Denmark, I was informed by Adrianna that unfortunately the camera cannot be repaired, and the free replacement is not applicable as it is outside of the warranty.
I replied asking what was the nature of the damage - was it something I did wrong or was there an internal fault with the camera? Adrianna answered that unfortunately, they do not know what is wrong with the camera or what caused the damage and that they can't help me.

I really wanted to use the Paralenz, it sits beautifully on a mask strap and you do not even notice it. It records great videos, color filters them, and gives you depth to the picture. The battery lasted more than 2.5 hours and was still recording when we exited the cave after that time.

Hopefully I'm bringing to the attention of the paying populous that the poor standard
this business applies to the outside of their product, they may also apply to the inside

I have no idea why one would awaken the scorpion and insist on a lift across the river

mild version

The Paralenz videos I have seen on youtube without lights look to be comparable to go pro with lights.
Not to me. No light, no good. Check my video, below. The first half (skinny Tiger Shark scene) was taken with GoPro6 with light. The second half (big mama Tiger Shark) was taken with Paralenz without lights. You need the video lights!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom