Go Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neilwood

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just looking for a bit of advice.

I have a couple of cameras:
1) SJCAM SJ4000 - cheap and cheerful. Not the best video quality and difficult to colour correct (required here where the water is quite often green).
2) GoPro Hero 4 Session - bought for me as a present and not that great to use underwater. Switching modes is fairly difficult due to the extremely small button. Barely used underwater.

Is it worth going for the new Hero 7 Black with the trade in of $100? I am only looking to make short videos for my own viewing although they will be uploaded to Youtube for mates to see.

What is the consensus on the Hero 7 Black? Is it a good buy?

In my opnion, if you buy anything buy the gopro black versions only. I have been in the gopro game since the version 3 and it was the white. Regretted it and bought the black. Since then all of my gopro cameras the 3,4,5,and recently the 7 black, If you decide to purchase the 7 black make sure you get the super suit. The camera is waterproof to around 30 feet as is but why chance flooding it? Also you need to purchase a scuba filter set if you ocean dive. Just makes the footage tons better. You will have to remove the lens cover on your gopro black so it will fit inside the suer suit. If you buy the silver or white those models have the lens cover not removeable. Also the battery on the 7 black models is removeable and the silver and white compartments are not available to open and change batteries. There are a ton of videos available on youtube on the gopro hero black 7. I personally love mine and although many people edit their footage and make adjustments to optimize color, white balance ISO etc etc etc. It does just fine as is. I dont edit and post straight from the camera. My personal scuba setup on the 7 black is this:

GoPro Hero 7 Black mounted to a Suptig 36 LED light, which is mounted to a Sandmarc 39" telescoping pole. The LED Suptig Light uses batteries from the gopro hero 3 and 4 series cameras, it comes with one battery but you can buy replacement batteries and a quality charger for cheap on ebay or amazon.

The telescoping pole and Suptig light source are awesome in that you can get right up to a coral, fish, lobster etc and not touch them but get awesome footage and your a safe distance away from the wildlife as well.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the GoPro 7 Black.

Glenn

Just looking for a bit of advice.

I have a couple of cameras:
1) SJCAM SJ4000 - cheap and cheerful. Not the best video quality and difficult to colour correct (required here where the water is quite often green).
2) GoPro Hero 4 Session - bought for me as a present and not that great to use underwater. Switching modes is fairly difficult due to the extremely small button. Barely used underwater.

Is it worth going for the new Hero 7 Black with the trade in of $100? I am only looking to make short videos for my own viewing although they will be uploaded to Youtube for mates to see.

What is the consensus on the Hero 7 Black? Is it a good buy?

I have a session 5, I just set the mode on the boat and don't mess with it afterwards. I keep it in a diving case, no issues pushing the button. But really I often just turn on the video recording and let it run. I don't have to worry about losing something while it's turning on, just point my hand. I just cut out the garbage once I get home.

Ended up going for the Hero 7 Black along with a supersuit housing - just need to get out and dive with it.

Just need to replace my previous light (battery issue).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom