Goby Filming

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

klausi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have recently moved away from exclusively photographing underwater to shooting stills and video. I am mainly using an Olympus E-M1, with the 17-42 mm kit lens and the 60 mm macro lens. I am focusing on filming my favorite fishes, the gobies. I am happy about some of the results, but I realize that there is lots of room for improvement! Any tips?

This is Randall's shrimp goby displaying.

These are some other shrimp gobies engaging in unusual body language:

And this is a fight between 2 versus one gobies in the sand.

In most of these videos I am placing the camera in the sand. The approach - without scaring the tiny fishes away - is something I have down from still photography. But stabilizing the camera to get smooth footage of tiny animals is a challenge. I have not managed to get decent footage of whip coral gobies (there is no sand to set the camera down in front of them). Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I have not managed to get decent footage of whip coral gobies (there is no sand to set the camera down in front of them). Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Can a part of a speargun shaft/spear, or the like, be used under the camera rig to hold it in place without damage to the coral? (You will have to cut the shaft/spear to the length you need).

Good idea - basically a custom XXL monopod.

Can a part of a speargun shaft/spear, or the like, be used under the camera rig to hold it in place without damage to the coral? (You will have to cut the shaft/spear to the length you need).

Yes, I have been thinking the same for my camera rig. I have an old spear shaft that is no good for spear fishing am going to cut into different lengths and take with me with the camera and use as a monopod.

Back
Top Bottom