God's Pocket August 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Richard Scarsbrook

Registered
Reaction score
12 of us from the UK have just finished a week's diving at GP. What a superb place. The diving around Browning Pass is world-class of course, often visited by top underwater film crews from National Geographic, BBC, etc. The dive operation is excellent - highly competent captain and divemaster, well-designed boat, tasty imaginative and attractively presented food, comfortable accommodation, friendly and hospitable staff, and interesting trails to explore on the island.
We met both the new owners Claus and Anthoine as well as previous owner-operator Bill. Very impressed by all of them. A first-class destination for experienced temperate water divers.

nice! i'm going with alex mustard next year...been on my list for a few years now, so finally ticking the box.. how was the clarity? any chance of photos?

I was at the Hideaway with a BSAC crew a few years ago. Was very impressed with both it and them! Some of the best diving I’ve done and I learned a lot. Does anyone know if Johns operation is still running, or is G’sP the only operator now?

I was at the Hideaway with a BSAC crew a few years ago. Was very impressed with both it and them! Some of the best diving I’ve done and I learned a lot. Does anyone know if Johns operation is still running, or is G’sP the only operator now?
if it was september 2013 that would have been us. I found Hideaway very hard to contact in 2016. last week there were people there (not divers) and the place looked run down.

Glad you had a great time at GP! I was there in the spring and will be going again at the end of this month. Always one of my favorite dive destinations.

It's always looked run down. :)
Reports from earlier this year were that John owes money all over Port Hardy and has been laying low.

This doesn't come as much of a surprise. While John is a great guide and there were many positive attributes to my trip, I found the Hideaway to be a massive safety hazard. My own trip included witnessing several close calls that came close to serious injury for those involved (the crew specifically - one slip and fall that narrowly missed being a massive head injury, and a boat crew member who ended up with suspected CO poisoning from breathing engine exhaust and had to be taken to hospital by ambulance (this was on the return trip to Port Hardy)). My buddies went up again the following year, only to find that John hadn't been back to the Hideaway after the winter until he brought the group up. More close calls allegedly followed. I am glad I wasn't on the return trip and I couldn't recommend anyone go up there if they valued their health and wellbeing.

I have nothing but good things to say about John and his operation myself, but at the same time I’m not surprised. It was always run on a shoestring, and I guess the shoestring finally snapped.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom