Goggles and snorkel question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wena

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi all

My son has just started his OW and wants to buy goggles and snorkel.
He was shown a set buy a friend of his and is adamant that he wants the same.

The goggles are made of silicon and do not seem like they would handle the pressure underwater (they do not seem to be rigid like the ones we have seen at dive stores).
The snorkel is one of those foldable ones that can be scrunched up and put in your pocket.

Question 1:
Is the snorkel alright for a beginner?

Question 2:
Am i correct in saying he should go for a brand name when choosing Goggles and snorkel.

Thanks

Alistair

There are some frameless masks that are quite good. He needs to try it on and see if it seals properly. The masks do not have to "handle the pressure" because the pressure inside will be the same as the outside pressure. They do need tempered glass, but I'd be surprised if any are sold without.
To see if it seals, he should place it on his face without the strap, push it slightly against the face and let it go while holding his breath. If it remains in place, it's sealing well.

About the snorkel, does he need a snorkel for OW? If so, I guess a simple foldable snorkel will be fine. If it's for actually using it to snorkel then I'd go for something different.

Hi Redshift
Thanks for the quick reply.
He has tried the goggles and they do "stick" to his face.

The snorkel and goggles will hopefully be a long term purchase.
Are the stiffer snorkels better?

He does not need to buy his goggles and snorkel right away but he has saved some money and wants to buy as much kit as he can before he spends it on something else.

Regards

Alistair

I have never used a foldable snorkel, so cannot give you advice on that. And even more without knowing the specific model. I only have a rigid (although still flexible) snorkel that I use for snorkeling and free diving. Don't use one for scuba.

Hello Alistair,
It's worth spending on a good mask, do you have the brand of the one your son wants? Sounds like it fits OK. As redshift said snorkel not so important for scuba. Ask at the dive shop where he is doing the course, they should lead him on the right path.
Stevo :D

Just to point out that a good mask is important, but not always good masks are expensive masks. They may be, they may not be, depending on people's faces and preferences.

Hi

I will find out the make and post later.

The dive school is trying hard to push their products on him but they are a expensive brand stuff.

Alistair

just to make sure this isn't a language/terminology issue -- normally goggles are 2 separate pieces with the nose totally exposed while a mask encloses the eyes and the nose -- allowing for equalization which goggles do not. going by this definition- no on goggles, yes on any decent mask with tempered glass. on a snorkel - it depends on the agency whether it's required or not but otherwise any snorkel that is comfortable will work whether top of the line or a cheap $2 snorkel.

Brand and price often have little to do with how well gear works, especially for something like mask and snorkel. Sometimes less expensive stuff that is not one of the well-known brands turns out to be the best choice.

While it would be good to know what brand/model he is considering, foldable snorkels can actually be very nice for scuba. Many divers eventually decide they would rather keep a snorkel in a pocket or someplace else just in case they need it, rather than hanging from their mask all the time where it can get in the way or make your mask leak. (It depends some on where you are diving. For example if you use the snorkel every dive for surface swims in and out you might prefer to just wear it, while in certain places you really don't want to wear a snorkel, but this is stuff he will learn as he goes along.) Now for doing a lot of actual snorkeling, while it would work, a foldable is not usually as nice.

Same with the mask, as said need to know the brand/model. But probably it's fine if it's tempered glass and fits correctly. He should be sure he has tried the fit test with a regulator or snorkel in his mouth, as it changes the fit. Obviously picking a mask that doesn't fit right just because his friend has it would be a lousy way to pick a mask. If he insists it's a lesson he will learn the hard way because a leaking mask is really annoying (or worse, to a beginner.)

If the mask is actually unsuitable they will let him know in class, but of course it can be hard for someone new to this to tell if they're saying that because it's true, or because they want to sell something. Shops are in business to sell gear and that's fine to some extent. And some places price OW classes cheaper hoping, if not requiring, you buy some gear from them. But if they get too focused on selling you stuff over their students best interest I'd have second thoughts of taking class through them. (If he tells them he got this stuff because he had already tried his friends and they worked well for him maybe it will help dull the sales spiel on that.)

Hi

I will find out the make and post later.

The dive school is trying hard to push their products on him but they are a expensive brand stuff.

Alistair

Shops keep their doors open selling gear. If you think dive school is being unreasonable, take a experienced diver with you. He/she should be able to tell you one way or the other. Oh and if you think a mask and snorkel are expensive, get ready for a shock if/when you buy the rest of the gear

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom