Goggles and snorkel question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

His head will grow as he ages. It is not a long term purchase. Think shoes.

I use a foldable snorkel now. You most likely will need a snorkel holder to attach it to the mask. PADI requires an attached snorkel for OW course. I would guess most agencies do. For a new/young diver my recommendation would be to wear one attached. Some may POSSIBLY disagree that a snorkel is useful--I think the topic came up once.......

A dive Mask is all about fit and seal on the face. A good snorkel, one that you can use for snorkeling when diving or just when snorkeling, should have a bottom vent to blow out water, a flexi hose portion for comfort, and be of sufficient diameter that you can put your index finger in it. I have a fold up snorkel I carry on recreational dives, but it is much less user friendly than the one I just described.
DivemasterDennis

Just to make sure the dive mask is a mask the silicone skirt must also cover his nose. A good dive mask should have flexible and soft silicone for comfort. As for the mask and pressure divers are taught to equalize the pressure by blowing air out of the nose (hence the need for the mask to cover the nose). The only thing a stiff mask would be is to be uncomfortable and not necessary to withstand pressure at depth.

A foldable snorkel is just fine for training purposes and practical since most divers won't be attaching the snorkel to the mask after they are certified. A foldable snorkel is perfect to store in the BC for dives just to have in case the diver might need one. After my daughter certified for basic OW she decided that she also did not want a snorkel on her mask either. For her AOW she told the instructor she didn't want to dive with the snorkel on the mask and he was okay with her keeping it in the pocket. But, as her father, who buys the gear, she has left more than one in a rental BC never to be seen again. At this point I would recommend you don't buy a very expensive snorkel.

The mask on the other hand is an essential piece of equipment. I would buy him a good mask that fits well. It doesn't have to be a brand name, just one that has tempered glass suitable for scuba diving. It is more important that it fits well and is comfortable than brand or price.

A dive Mask is all about fit and seal on the face. A good snorkel, one that you can use for snorkeling when diving or just when snorkeling, should have a bottom vent to blow out water, a flexi hose portion for comfort, and be of sufficient diameter that you can put your index finger in it. I have a fold up snorkel I carry on recreational dives, but it is much less user friendly than the one I just described.
DivemasterDennis
A good snorkel does not need fancy dump valves, the best snorkel is a simple j snorkel.

Hi all

The 2 mask brands he is keen on are Reef and National geographic(?). They are both full silicon masks with tempered glass.
Reef has a good standing in RSA, not as high as Scuba Pro and the others though.
National geographic I have no idea, time to get onto google.

Alistair

---------- Post added February 18th, 2014 at 11:40 AM ----------

Hi again

The National geo set is the "Explorer series" and it is the Mariner combo.

Alistair

Hi all

The 2 mask brands he is keen on are Reef and National geographic(?). They are both full silicon masks with tempered glass.
Reef has a good standing in RSA, not as high as Scuba Pro and the others though.
National geographic I have no idea, time to get onto google.

Alistair

---------- Post added February 18th, 2014 at 11:40 AM ----------

Hi again

The National geo set is the "Explorer series" and it is the Mariner combo.

Alistair

leisure pro lists the Mariner combo as a snorkel set for $40.

• Mask:
  • Frame: Lightweight Delrin and Plastics
  • Skirt: 100% Black Liquid Silicone
  • Hypoallergenic
  • Double Feathered Edge Skirt
  • Low Volume Compact Design
  • One-Handed Nose Pocket for Ear Equalization
  • Tempered Safety Glass Dual Lenses
  • Adjustable and Replaceable Silicone Rubber Head Strap
  • Great Field of Vision
  • Snorkel:
  • 100% Silicone Rubber with Orthodontic Mouthpiece
  • Easy Mount Snorkel Keeper
  • Large Bore Contoured Tube for Easy Air Displacement
  • Splash Guard, Semi-Dry Design
  • Unique Snorkel Holder
  • Holder Allows Roll-Up of Snorkel for Storage in BCD Pocket

looks like would work at least for a beginner for jr ow. he would have to try it on for fit

leisure pro lists the Mariner combo as a snorkel set for $40.

• Mask:
  • Frame: Lightweight Delrin and Plastics
  • Skirt: 100% Black Liquid Silicone
  • Hypoallergenic
  • Double Feathered Edge Skirt
  • Low Volume Compact Design
  • One-Handed Nose Pocket for Ear Equalization
  • Tempered Safety Glass Dual Lenses
  • Adjustable and Replaceable Silicone Rubber Head Strap
  • Great Field of Vision
  • Snorkel:
  • 100% Silicone Rubber with Orthodontic Mouthpiece
  • Easy Mount Snorkel Keeper
  • Large Bore Contoured Tube for Easy Air Displacement
  • Splash Guard, Semi-Dry Design
  • Unique Snorkel Holder
  • Holder Allows Roll-Up of Snorkel for Storage in BCD Pocket

looks like would work at least for a beginner for jr ow. he would have to try it on for fit

What is the norm specs that we should look for?

Alistair

What is the norm specs that we should look for?

Alistair

like it's been said --- tempered safety glass, large bore, low volume. 100% silicone BLACK skirt.

just like the ladies masks are best with in black :)

fins should be open open & get boots to wear... i'll stay away from the splits vs non-split debate for now....

Back
Top Bottom