Going beyond the GoPro - compacts / portable rigs for video only.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

afieldofblue

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
hello all,

I would like to update my current UW video rig (go pro 4 to 7 https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGm5QuR4KQftzMoaAM1ExSW0UFKNatJRR ) to something offering better image quality and manual control.

I had a Canon G12 in the past as well as a Lumix compact, and miss the image quality, and also having a more practical camera to work with.

I shoot only video, no stills - and will be working in ambient light in the tropics, shallow dives, most likely with a UR PRO red filter or equivalent (in the future, video lights for macro) - I would start with just the camera and housing.

Looking for good image quality, white balance and low light handling. 4k yes ok, but I'll be working and exporting to 1080p most of the time, so 4k handling not the most important aspect, even though the extra pixels are nice.

I would also like the rig to be portable, so focusing on compacts.

What are your takes on compacts for video only?

I've narrowed it down to some ol'time favorites

RX100 mark V

Lumix LX100ii

Lumix LX10

but any other recommendations for portable camera+ housing combination would be highly welcome.

A lot of the reviews and tests are very photocentric and commercial, so it’s hard to get a clear picture on actual video performance.

As a side-note, I’m currently mostly in developping Asian countries, so quite limited as to what I have access to second-hand / or online, unfortunately.

cheers

ben

Google for RX100 overheating which affects models except the latest.
Yeah i heard this from from a cruise director friend with a RX100 V - he shoots in 1080 because 4K overheats.

Lumix would be the way to go for video then?

Yeah i heard this from from a cruise director friend with a RX100 V - he shoots in 1080 because 4K overheats.

Lumix would be the way to go for video then?

I would be interested in what you end up with as I am sort of in the same boat. I am currently playing around with a Paralenz and have been looking at the two BlackMagic cameras. When you do make a choice, I would love to hear your reasoning behind the selection. Thanks

I know the reviews are mixed but I've had great luck with my Paralenz. The new version (mid 2020) has a view-screen as well for more accurate framing (although it's wide enough that I always got my shots). Used versions come up on eBay on occasion but new you get their excellent customer service (personally attest to that).

No housing needed, streamlined shape, simple controls, white balance can be set to specific light temps, automatic or depth corrected.

Paralenz site : Every Dive Counts

I would be interested in what you end up with as I am sort of in the same boat. I am currently playing around with a Paralenz and have been looking at the two BlackMagic cameras. When you do make a choice, I would love to hear your reasoning behind the selection. Thanks
I've kind of given up on the blackmagic camera 4k due to the sheer cost of the housing - last time I looked the nauticam bare housing was at 3500 USD+ and I don't think there any other options available.
also heard that the autofocus isn't great on land, which could be even more problematic underwater, and a friend who used the previous model told me shooting 4k drained the battery super fast (though this was on a previous model).
As good as it sounds, it might be not be ideal for what we do.
See this as well:
Nauticam - BMPCC 4K

For the same price you can get a GH5 rig which has pretty much become a workehorse standard. If not for the size + price, this is what I would get for an evolutive rig.

But recently I've started thinking that dedicated video cameras are probably better, and would probably get a Sony FDR AX700 if I could afford the housing + camera combo

I'll report back when I do make the compact jump.

I know the reviews are mixed but I've had great luck with my Paralenz. The new version (mid 2020) has a view-screen as well for more accurate framing (although it's wide enough that I always got my shots). Used versions come up on eBay on occasion but new you get their excellent customer service (personally attest to that).

No housing needed, streamlined shape, simple controls, white balance can be set to specific light temps, automatic or depth corrected.

Paralenz site : Every Dive Counts

Yes but I'm looking for something with manual controls, more than what an action camera can offer - I edit in post so I'd rather have a flat profile that I can play around with rather than letting the camera do the thinking. and also I'm after with a bigger sensor to get better range.

I'm also not a great fan on barrel distortion on action cam wide angle lenses - I know Paralenz is doing better than Go Pro in this regard (I shoot in linear on the go pro 7 but it's still heavily distorted on the sides - the Go Pro 4's medium FOV was better imo)
I'll keep an eye on their upcoming Vaquita model though, but I doubt that it will much manual control.

UW Photography guide has a mostly nice review of the Rx100 Va although they fail to mention obvious downsides like the common overheating.

Sony RX100 V and VA Review and Underwater Photo Essay

Thanks - most reviews I've read for the RX100 series, LX100 and LX10 have been very positive, they're all solid cameras with good video modes.
I wish there was more user feedback from people using these specifically for UW video.

Back
Top Bottom