Going beyond the GoPro - compacts / portable rigs for video only.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the RX100 VA. Battery is on the small side too.
Do you often have the overheating issue on yours? Clips i shoot are 10 to 30 seconds maximum, unless there's really something special going on that would make me go up to the 1 minute mark.
thanks

With the VA, I gave up on 4K because of the overheating. I recall that it overheated even at lower resolutions. I’ve since gone on to the GH5 and am very happy with that.

With the VA, I gave up on 4K because of the overheating. I recall that it overheated even at lower resolutions. I’ve since gone on to the GH5 and am very happy with that.

Bummer-
Thanks - The more I look into it, the more it feels like there's no middle way - it's either GO PRO / Paralenz /TG or straight to mirroless or dedicated cams.

Size and price tag currently being an issue, might have to stick with the go pro for a few years more then...

I am using the Olympus TG6. You can dive to max 15m without a housing and 45m with the housing.
I also have my own DIY tray and Big Blue Video lights as needed for dark low visibility and of course night dives.

A video of a friend using his TG5 with a single video light

TG6 HERO4 SETUP.jpg

4K video following a turtle.... TG6

No overheating on 4K video even with 2 mins or more video. One thing though is that any camera using video in 4K will use a lot of power. I tend to get 3 dives on a mixture of video and photos. However if I do two dives of 75 mins each I would change the battery.
If you are doing a lot of 4K video every dive maybe get some more batteries. My TG6 package came with a spare battery and charger as well.

I am using the Olympus TG6. You can dive to max 15m without a housing and 45m with the housing.
I also have my own DIY tray and Big Blue Video lights as needed for dark low visibility and of course night dives.

A video of a friend using his TG5 with a single video light

View attachment 585222

Thanks - we have a TG5 + housing that the wife uses for macro stills, but when I tried it for video the autofocus didn't work well - Was very pleased at first, nice color in ambient light with the UR pro filter we have, but image quality not fantastic - I've been playing around with the 4k footage this week. Nice part is not having the gopro lens distortion.

I did get some nice results with macro and lights, using manual focus assist + focus peaking, but for wide the autofocus issue was a big let down.

Also I remember the camera jamming and locking quite often when used for video on a one hour dive.

Do you know if the video focussing issue has been improved in the TG6?

It's the same housing as the TG5, so not a big investment if we were to upgrade...

You can always try one of the LX if you want a compact. Bigger sensor than the TG.

Well yes, but I can't really try before buying, which is why I'm asking around for opinions from video-focused users.

The LX10 looked nice, but it's quite old now, and most of the material found online is retailer-made commercial stuff, which doesn't help much unfortunately...

Thanks - we have a TG5 + housing that the wife uses for macro stills, but when I tried it for video the autofocus didn't work well - Was very pleased at first, nice color in ambient light with the UR pro filter we have, but image quality not fantastic - I've been playing around with the 4k footage this week. Nice part is not having the gopro lens distortion.

I did get some nice results with macro and lights, using manual focus assist + focus peaking, but for wide the autofocus issue was a big let down.

Also I remember the camera jamming and locking quite often when used for video on a one hour dive.

Do you know if the video focussing issue has been improved in the TG6?

It's the same housing as the TG5, so not a big investment if we were to upgrade...

For longer distance shots try using the Landscape mode and the AF auto focus. Some people setup the Macro AF but I never use that setting as it refocuses too much. I only had a Hero 4 before getting the TG6 so cannot compare to the TG5. I think as you see with the turtle video I the AF worked well and did not lose focus. Once inside a wreck it would track different fish and refocus... I think that is one of the things with the TG6 with a fixed lens like the Go Pros you don't need to worry about the focal distance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom