Going diving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aloha Joe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
(Edit: If anyone has dive planning suggestions/tips for new divers at the Catalina Diver Park, please share!!)

Some of you know already, but I decided to get scuba certified for my birthday (which is Wednesday - I got my OW last weekend), and it's turning into a dive week! I have a new friend who dives and also has a birthday this weekend, so we're doing a 3-day trip to Catalina with a boat dive on Saturday. My original plan was to just rent gear and go through the class to say I did it, then it was a day trip to Catalina, and now I've got my own fancy rig and am going on a mini dive vacation with a new friend! Pretty cool birthday gift!!

I'm the kind of guy that likes to learn and continuously improve. I started to think about what I can work on, but then realized I should just enjoy my first dives as a certified diver - obviously diving safely within my limits and using the skills I've learned, but also enjoying myself and soaking in my surroundings (oh no, the puns!) and building time and confidence underwater. But I know myself, and I know I'll be figuring out how to perfect my buoyancy using my OPV (dump), and will be paying attention to kicking (finning?) and stuff.

I'm actually looking forward to the planning and pre-dive preparation/communication with my buddy, and carrying out our dives as planned. That's kind of funny since I generally hate planning, and had this crazy idea that scuba was going to be about independence and spontaneity! Obviously that perspective has changed! And of course I'm looking forward to seeing all kinds of new wildlife underwater - hopefully I'll get to see some seals and dolphins this weekend!!

I also would like to say Thank You to everyone who makes this forum what it is. I've learned a lot in a very short amount of time (like, 4 weeks??) particularly about my equipment, and am really happy with the rig I put together, with parts that even came from some of you.

Last edited:
Some of you know already, but I decided to get scuba certified for my birthday (which is Wednesday - I got my OW last weekend), and it's turning into a dive week! I have a new friend who dives and also has a birthday this weekend, so we're doing a 3-day trip to Catalina with a boat dive on Saturday. My original plan was to just rent gear and go through the class to say I did it, then it was a day trip to Catalina, and now I've got my own fancy rig and am going on a mini dive vacation with a new friend! Pretty cool birthday gift!!

I'm the kind of guy that likes to learn and continuously improve. I started to think about what I can work on, but then realized I should just enjoy my first dives as a certified diver - obviously diving safely within my limits and using the skills I've learned, but also enjoying myself and soaking in my surroundings (oh no, the puns!) and building time and confidence underwater. But I know myself, and I know I'll be figuring out how to perfect my buoyancy using my OPV (dump), and will be paying attention to kicking (finning?) and stuff.

I'm actually looking forward to the planning and pre-dive preparation/communication with my buddy, and carrying out our dives as planned. That's kind of funny since I generally hate planning, and had this crazy idea that scuba was going to be about independence and spontaneity! Obviously that perspective has changed! And of course I'm looking forward to seeing all kinds of new wildlife underwater - hopefully I'll get to see some seals and dolphins this weekend!!

I also would like to say Thank You to everyone who makes this forum what it is. I've learned a lot in a very short amount of time (like, 4 weeks??) particularly about my equipment, and am really happy with the rig I put together, with parts that even came from some of you.
Congratulations on certification - now you really start learning.

Personally I would go out and just enjoy your first unsupervised dives. You will have plenty to think about with just the basics of navigation and buoyancy without worrying about adding any more. I certainly found it to be a lot to take in in my first few dives which were with more experienced divers (ended up at 21m on my first OW dive post cert as my buddies didn't know I was only OW). Also, if you want and your buddy is happy to, practise some drills at your stops. Helps to keep them fresh (only proviso would be if practising air share, warn people first that it is a drill as you don't want panicked DM's or other divers).

Have a play with your gear before you go to make sure you know where your dumps, inflator, buckles etc are (even try it with eyes closed just in case of lost mask/poor vis). It will make your dive more enjoyable if you can find them without spending time searching.

Oh and HAVE FUN (excuse the caps but that is worth emphasising). Go slow and enjoy it.

Congrats and like Neilwood said just go out and have fun.

Thanks!! Yeah it's easy to get ahead of myself (in my head) but I'll definitely just take it easy and enjoy myself. That actually sounds really great! I'm always pushing myself so I'm going to take a nice birthday vacation from that :)

Any suggestions for dive planning in the Catalina park? Like what to see first, or how much/little to see in the first few dives?

Last edited:
Never has one poster posted so much about so many subjects on diving prior to their first dive

I eagerly await volume one of your forthcoming book published on this board titled My first dive

Go to Catalina get off boat walk or shuttle to Dive Park, say Hi to Dr Bill, change in to the costume of diving walk down stairs to water, lay down in water and begin dive.

Surface, climb stairs dry off, say Hi to @Dr.Bill and get cylinder filled for second dive. Rest, chat with Dr.Bill, complete dive log page 1 volume 1 make note of changes needed

Repeat after every dive "I am a genuine bubble blowing diver ! "

Have that old feller Dr. Bill sign your log book

Have fun, enjoy yourself.... I sincerely hope you make many more dives and contribute to the world of diving

SDM

Banish the words "goggles" and "flippers" from your vocab, lest anyone get the idea it's your first dive ;-)

Use a plastic grocery bag (do they still even have those in Southern Cal?) on your hands and feet while you slide your wetsuit on, it reduces friction and tugging, it's free, and some folks will think it's a neat trick (it is) and that you are a cheapskate veteran, like many (some?) on this board.

I'm only half in jest. Don't be afraid to admit what you don't know, and that you're new. We all were once, and it's ultimately safer if your buddies know your experience level.

Enjoy the first dives now that OW is done! Nothing like it :) But as many have said, now you start learning, improving, and most importantly enjoying it more and more.

I think my first dive after open water was in Seychelles, unfortunately only 1 dive, but still a lucky bugger :)

Banish the words "goggles" and "flippers" from your vocab, lest anyone get the idea it's your first dive ;-)

Use a plastic grocery bag (do they still even have those in Southern Cal?) on your hands and feet while you slide your wetsuit on, it reduces friction and tugging, it's free, and some folks will think it's a neat trick (it is) and that you are a cheapskate veteran, like many (some?) on this board.

I'm only half in jest. Don't be afraid to admit what you don't know, and that you're new. We all were once, and it's ultimately safer if your buddies know your experience level.
I still get irked when my friends and relatives talk about goggles and flippers - its a mask and Flipper was a dolphin (link)!

That should always be part of a good dive briefing with a new buddy - comparison of relative experience and expectations. A good buddy will take that into account and tweak their expectations accordingly.

Also do not get stressed about being the one that calls a dive due to air consumption. You will suck (more gas) than an experienced buddy 99% of the time - they are more relaxed in the water than you will be. It will improve with time and experience. At the end, someone will always have to call the dive based on gas (or eventually NDL) and until you get settled, it probably will be you - accept it and don't get stressed about it because that will make it worse. One day it will be you that is the experienced diver and your buddy will be the one that calls it. The only exceptions to that rule of thumb are, in general, female divers of less than generous stature who seem to put gas in the cylinder instead of sucking it out!

FYI

The first book written on recreational diving was Gilpatrics Compleat Goggler in 1938
Goggles were the standard covering of the face for many years - then after the nose was covered following USN it was called a face plate, finally a Mask ( the first diving US Mask was patented by Frank Roedecker in 1940)

Swim fins were originally called Swimming Propellers, late changed to Flippers and finally Owen Churchill named them Swim Fins now shortened to Fins

Lloyd Bridges and Bill Barada published a book called Mask & Flippers

Call the anything you desire....

SDM III

Back
Top Bottom