Going diving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got laid off from work. I think it's going to be a blessing in disguise, but it means no spending money on dives. It's such a let down after getting so involved so quickly. But I've been busy getting out of storage, tying up loose ends, etc.

Anyway there's a very strong possibility that I'll be moving to Oahu in late Jan/early Feb. I might sneak in a dive or two while I'm looking for work there, but probably not getting too heavily into it until I'm employed. I at least know of a club I like down there...
That sucks about work - hope you find something soon.

Thanks! It’s hard to get a job in Hawaii without a local address, so I’m just going to wing it!! I’ve got enough savings and enemployment to rent a room for a few months while I figure out what I want to do. And I’ve been selling stuf that I don’t want to lug over seas, so maybe I’ll keep a few bucks set aside for AOW in Hawaii. WooHoo!!

Thanks! It’s hard to get a job in Hawaii without a local address, so I’m just going to wing it!! I’ve got enough savings and enemployment to rent a room for a few months while I figure out what I want to do. And I’ve been selling stuf that I don’t want to lug over seas, so maybe I’ll keep a few bucks set aside for AOW in Hawaii. WooHoo!!
Good luck Joe! Hawaii is hard to get a job even with a Hawaiian address!
When will you be in Hawaii and where will you be (Island?)

Thank you!! I plan on ending up on Oahu, but I'll see if I can visit some of the other islands before I get too settled, and who knows what will happen :)

Right now it's looking like I'll fly out at the end of February - my current job ends 2/9.

Thank you!! I plan on ending up on Oahu, but I'll see if I can visit some of the other islands before I get too settled, and who knows what will happen :)

Right now it's looking like I'll fly out at the end of February - my current job ends 2/9.
Keep in touch, what sort of work do you do, or want to do? Maybe I know someone for you to talk with.
Peace & Aloha!

I will!

I'm an engineer. I've been thinking about getting into Green HVAC design, but also thinking of starting to get away from engineering. I've got some decent technical skills but will do a little soul searching when I first get out there.

I signed up for a 3-dive boat trip next weekend. The water temp is about 61F right now. What should I use for gloves and hood?

(Edit: If anyone has dive planning suggestions/tips for new divers at the Catalina Diver Park, please share!!)

I suggest two things:

1. Remove the tape from the valve before you walk away after renting a tank to make sure it's DIN or Yoke, depending on your needs.

2. Go when it's not crowded.

I signed up for a 3-dive boat trip next weekend. The water temp is about 61F right now. What should I use for gloves and hood?

No replies? Well, a 7mm hood is pretty basic. Mine does not tuck into the wetsuit and I never notice my neck getting cold, but that might be because I'm freezing everywhere else :wink: As for gloves, I have been wearing leather work gloves (on the snug side) for decades and my hands never get cold but others wear 3mm neoprene gloves and their hands still get cold.

You mentioned not being able to afford much diving when you get to Oahu. Isn't there any good shore diving there? When I was on Maui I did lots of shore dives. At the time it was cheaper to rent a tank there than it is here in California. I'm going to the Big Island soon and expect to find lots of good shore diving there. My daughter is moving to Kauai soon so I guess I'll be finding out about diving there too! I'm thinking about getting an inflatable dive float so I don't have to rent one. They are required on Maui but I don't know about the other islands. Actually, I may just stick a flag on my SMB :)

No replies? Well, a 7mm hood is pretty basic. Mine does not tuck into the wetsuit and I never notice my neck getting cold, but that might be because I'm freezing everywhere else :wink: As for gloves, I have been wearing leather work gloves (on the snug side) for decades and my hands never get cold but others wear 3mm neoprene gloves and their hands still get cold.

You mentioned not being able to afford much diving when you get to Oahu. Isn't there any good shore diving there? When I was on Maui I did lots of shore dives. At the time it was cheaper to rent a tank there than it is here in California. I'm going to the Big Island soon and expect to find lots of good shore diving there. My daughter is moving to Kauai soon so I guess I'll be finding out about diving there too! I'm thinking about getting an inflatable dive float so I don't have to rent one. They are required on Maui but I don't know about the other islands. Actually, I may just stick a flag on my SMB :)

Thanks!

I'm learning that diving (on Oahu at least) is going to be less expensive than diving here - even the boat dives once I get a club card. I'll be able to dive, just need to moderate. I'm going to do AOW with Island Divers which is mostly from shore for under $200, then I'll be ready to do more shore diving (haven't yet).

When are you going to Big Island? I'm thinking I'll stop there on my way as I have 2 friends there and want to explore and maybe dive a little... I"m dreaming about checking out 1, 2, or even 3 islands before settling on Oahu but that might be stretching it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom