Going in November/december - Typhoon season or good weather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rasrolig

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Planning to dive in mid november until first in december. Thinking PG and Palawan.
Have 18 days, and thinking of doing both, bit of diving, and bit of relaxing.

How is the weather, and should we be looking at others places in november/december?

Thanks

Typically it is referred to as typhoon and the rainy season but the weather here the last few years has been shifting later and later.

More than likely it will rain on some occasions while you're here but most people find it refreshing as it cools the place down for a few hours. Typically it is early morning and late late afternoon/evening.

As we always tell divers, you'll get wet anyways.

1. There was a typhoon on Boxing Day(St. Stephen Day for some nations) last yr.
2. Personally, I won't worry too much but my time is very flexible so delay due to divine intervention is no big deal. But for someone coming all the way from Denmark, you must have a Plan B.
3. Forget PG and just spend all your time in Palawan. But make sure you are back in Manila with at least a day or two to spare. Corregidor Island(defense of Manila in WWII) is highly recommended. The Rice Terraces in Northern Luzon is highly rated but you really need several days to make the trip viable.
4. Bali.

Would Bali not be the same regarding the weather?

Could postpone to december maybe, if that makes it better. Was in Cebu region a couple of years ago and was really nice in January.

Bali has no problem with typhoon except Oct to Mar is the rainy season but the place will be relatively quiet. However, weather has gone crazy and "unpredictable" over last few yrs. Therefore you might have the best time during your stay in Philippines. But make sure you give yourself couple of days to spare in Manila before your final departure from the country.
Jan to Mar is the best time to visit Philippines. And I would avoid the country from mid Dec to early Jan because of the Christmas. Flight is a lot more expensive and also in big demand. And buses and ferries are packed etc.

I had just read your other post and realized that there will be 5-6 guys in your group. Hang out by the beach - Andaman Coast of Thailand.

Last edited:
To put it in perspective, here on Malapascua we cancel perhaps 5 days a year in total for weather or 1.36%. So yes you can get unlucky but whether you re plan your whole trip on a small percentage of being unlucky is another question. I have worked in a shop in Australia that cancelled 50% of dive days in certain months.

So I'd say plan your holiday and enjoy it.

We had three weeks of perfect weather in December of 2016. We did however loose three diving days in Malapascua as diving was cancelled due to concerns about a typhoon in the area. With three weeks away , we actually rather enjoyed this hiatus and was no internet either ! Two destinations in 18 days is very wise , you will get to know the places and people well.

Was in the Philippines last year in December and January. One week in Boracay--perfect weather, no rain. Went to PG for a week over Christmas. Got in one dive before a typhoon moved in and blew us out of the water. Reeked havoc on PG--no electricity except those who had generators, no one coming or going to the island for a few days. The day after the typhoon the weather was perfect. Took us four days to get a boat back to Batangas. After that we flew to Dumaguete for a week of diving around Dauin and had great weather and diving. In the last four years of going to the Philippines at the same time each year this was the first time we'd had weather bad enough to keep us out of the water--you roll the dice and takes your chances but I think the odds are in your favor--I'll be back there in two more weeks for hopefully more fun in the sun and under the water.

Back
Top Bottom