My journey into tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So what would be typical? Or what is the worst sea state you have done this in without worrying about stuff being damaged or crushed fingers?

What happens when you move the boat?

Photos?

So what would be typical? Or what is the worst sea state you have done this in without worrying about stuff being damaged or crushed fingers?

What happens when you move the boat?

Photos?
On the Great Lakes the waves are very close, we often call dives if the waves get to 3' as the lake becomes very rough. What constitutes calm pleasant conditions in some areas warrants a small craft advisory here. I've used leashes here in 4 footers, I've used them in the Atlantic Ocean in twice that. If the boat is rocking violently it may become an issue. I'm still not sure how you would manage crush your fingers though.

I'm surprised you've never seen one used as it shows you as a rebreather diver. Most rebreather divers I've dove with use them for their bailout bottles. Tech divers use them for their stages and deco bottles. Cave divers use them on the stairs at sites with stairs. I've seen them at several quarries too. :)

We have lifts on boats mostly, so we go up on the lift and, if necessary, someone takes a bailout off you before you try to make it to the bench.

On the odd boat with a ladder then either you go up the ladder with the bailout or attach it to a rope and hand it up, then go up the ladder.

Inland sites often have chains looping along the pontoon. There you attach the bailout/stage/deco cylinder to the chain and then go up the ladder, dekit and then recover the cylinder.

It is not unusual to getting on a lift where one moment the water is at your ankles and the next over your head, and then back at your ankles. I am trying to understand how this system manages with more sporting conditions.

I havent been fortunate enough to be on a boat with a lift. If we had a lift we wouldnt need to use a leash. We dive mostly six packs with ladders. The leash is more like what you describe as the chain on the pontoon, but hung over the side of the boat and straight down under the water line.

On a six pack I can reach the water from the side of the boat, so you pull the line up and grab/attach your tank/s, then drop it back into the water. Kind of similar to how some old schoolers hung an emergency O2 bottle off the side at 20', but with multiple tanks attached.

Thought of this thread while I was diving 2 charters on Lake Michigan yesterday We had some 4ft "rollers" (as the captain called them) in the morning. Took my Bonine this time, so I was fine, although my legs are a bit bruised from getting knocked around some while getting up the ladder. Very thankful for fin on ladders in those conditions. Viz wasn't the best, but still better than the quarry!

We have lifts on boats mostly, so we go up on the lift and, if necessary, someone takes a bailout off you before you try to make it to the bench.

On the odd boat with a ladder then either you go up the ladder with the bailout or attach it to a rope and hand it up, then go up the ladder.

Inland sites often have chains looping along the pontoon. There you attach the bailout/stage/deco cylinder to the chain and then go up the ladder, dekit and then recover the cylinder.

It is not unusual to getting on a lift where one moment the water is at your ankles and the next over your head, and then back at your ankles. I am trying to understand how this system manages with more sporting conditions.
It is great fun when you grab for the side rail only to find the platform has gone up over your head an looks like the platform might get you on the way back. Luckily only had that once so far.

We are quite blessed here with the amount of boats with lifts though.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom