My journey into tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been diving for a while, recreational diver, and took my first tech class earlier this year - TDI Advanced Wreck. I thoroughly enjoyed the class. Buoyancy, trim and propulsion are all good, but really apply whether you're a good recreational diver or a serious tech diver. The biggest eye opener for me, and skill I came into the class totally unprepared for, was dive planning. Figuring NDL times are easy and taught in every OW class. Lots of recreational dives are drop down, swim around, blow bubbles, until getting cold / bored / tired / hungry, running low on breathing gas, or dive computer saying it's time to go up. Proper tech diving involves a lot more planning than that, as far as how much gas am I going to need and will I have enough, especially as dives push beyond the boundary past recreational dives. In retrospect, I wish I practiced more proactively planning my dives where possible, to the point where I could accurately and consistently predict how much gas I would use and how much I would surface with, and actually have my dive profile closely match my plan.

One of the guys in my class dived sidemount, the instructor, assistants and rest of the students, including me, dived back mounted doubles. It was my first time in doubles and I was a complete spaz out of the water the first day. Unless the wrecks you want to penetrate are resting on their sides, backmounted doubles is a more effective way to move about inside a wreck, because they work better with the way ships are built for people to move through them before they become wrecks

One of the guys in my class dived sidemount, the instructor, assistants and rest of the students, including me, dived back mounted doubles. It was my first time in doubles and I was a complete spaz out of the water the first day. Unless the wrecks you want to penetrate are resting on their sides, backmounted doubles is a more effective way to move about inside a wreck, because they work better with the way ships are built for people to move through them before they become wrecks

Did you read any of the thread? :facepalm:I will explain...for the umpteenth time. I have bad knees that preclude BM.

My options are SM or I don't do anything beyond rec diving.

What would your choice be?

What would your choice be?

If I had physical issues that wouldn't enable me to successfully perform technical diving as optimally as possible, I'd recognize the risks, err on the conservative side, and focus my dive activities on areas where I could safely perform all necessary tasks and complete my dives with sufficient capacity to address any contingencies. And for that reason, I don't consider myself a technical diver or undertake dives typically considered beyond recreational

If I had physical issues that wouldn't enable me to successfully perform technical diving as optimally as possible, I'd recognize the risks, err on the conservative side, and focus my dive activities on areas where I could safely perform all necessary tasks and complete my dives with sufficient capacity to address any contingencies. And for that reason, I don't consider myself a technical diver or undertake dives typically considered beyond recreational
I think she is saying she physically cannot get in and out of the water with a twinset. It doesn't matter how long the dive is once she is in if she cannot get in or out.

Maybe a rebreather would be a better plan. Some are relatively light. Or move to where there are lifts on boats.

I think she is saying she physically cannot get in and out of the water with a twinset. It doesn't matter how long the dive is once she is in if she cannot get in or out.

Maybe a rebreather would be a better plan. Some are relatively light. Or move to where there are lifts on boats.
I’m sure her other hobbies won’t suffer diving in the UK.

I’m sure her other hobbies won’t suffer diving in the UK.
I saw there was one NJ (I think) boat with a lift. The modern world may arrive eventually :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom