My journey into tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A friend suggested I think about a pair of LP50s for easier rec boat SM. Will be looking for a used pair if possible over the winter.

A friend suggested I think about a pair of LP50s for easier rec boat SM. Will be looking for a used pair if possible over the winter.

LP50's make GREAT boat sidemount tanks, but be aware your overall gas volume is significantly less than the current HP80 tanks you're using. You may want to get 2 sets if you're planning 2 dives per trip, or you will be pretty substantially limited if you decide to make 2 dives on them unless your consumption is stellar, or your dives are pretty short to begin with.

I've seen people mitigate it by transfilling from other tanks, but you end up bringing a bunch of tanks just to get a reasonable gas volume for the second dive if you're not pumping on the boat.

They don't come up used that often because they're pretty popular for both the SM crowd doing a single dive, and rebreather divers using them for backgas bailout a la PSCR's. It's not that they never come up, but pretty typically you won't save much money (% off new) in comparison to purchasing other used tanks. That being said, if you find a pair for a reasonable price, jump on them.

DRIS being your local shop, you might get a pretty good deal from them on a set of new tanks. The packages from DRIS, DGX, and Piranha, come with bands and a manifold and port plugs so you can separate them. At least they all did when I purchased mine, but it's worth checking again if you decide to go new.

SM is coming along. I've not done it much as I've been hitting Lake Michigan hard while the weather holds out.

Screen shot from video buddy got of me yesterday at the quarry. My trim and tank trim seem to be decent. I will get frog this winter if it kills me. Instructor told me it's a non-negotiable before I can do TDI SM class. I had an issue with being very leg heavy when I started diving dry again in August (after a year of diving wet), but that seems to have resolved itself. Oddly, when I tried to do frog yesterday, my right foot would not flex. I'm going to be working it every which way when I'm in front of the TV for a few weeks and see if that makes a difference.

I'm down to needing just 4 additional pounds SM with the 2 HP80s diving dry, but that's without a very heavy undergarment. I have a used Thermal Fusion on the way, so I suspect I might have to add those 2 lbs back on.

SM pic 4.jpeg

As we've discussed privately but posted here so that others may learn.

I find it abhorrent that your instructors have let you progress so far while you have such deficiencies. They have been disingenuous to you. The (PADI) SM course places great emphasis on correct fin kicks, I would expect SDI to do the same. At this point in yoru career (and I know haw many hurdles you've overcome and congratulate you ) not only show frog, modified flutter and helicopter kicks be easy and natural back kisck for positioning should aslo be in your toolbox

A dynamic picture (movign forward) show little, I would expect decent trim. The telling point is whether you can hold a "bliue water stop" with a visual reference. I would expect a deviation of no greater than +/-1' @ 15'

I know your practicing hard, but urge you to seek assistance and mentoring from established instructors, rather than those (however nice) who have clearly done you a disservice

I stand corrected then. I don't have the PADI Sidemount Instructor manual at hand. but I can assure you it regures frog, modified flutter, helecopter and back kick. Frankly I see these as a neccesity for SM (and recomended for all rec) becuase SM tends to be the first step to Tec

It (SDI Course) does point out however that you're supposed to demonstrate cylinder removal at the surface which know you've had issues with.

This isn't' having a go at you, it's just pointing out that yoru instructors have been disingenuous to you by not teaching you the skills on a course you've paid for. I think you've been cheated.

You shouldn't be havign to teach yourself these skills, you should have been taught them and then you can practice to make perfect.

But just my opinion

The other kicks are taught in SDI Open Water. They are not a huge focus in OW but they are taught and should not have to be "retaught" in a more advanced curriculum. Now if the instructor notices you are not proficient at the kicks, more time may be spent on that rather than your course core OR you may have to have days added to your more advanced classes in order to deal with deficiencies. Lack of a solid kick type would be classified as a "deficiency" and not something that would be taught in each advanced course. That's why you do not see it specifically mentioned in the SM course.

As we've discussed privately but posted here so that others may learn.

I find it abhorrent that your instructors have let you progress so far while you have such deficiencies. They have been disingenuous to you. The (PADI) SM course places great emphasis on correct fin kicks, I would expect SDI to do the same. At this point in yoru career (and I know haw many hurdles you've overcome and congratulate you ) not only show frog, modified flutter and helicopter kicks be easy and natural back kisck for positioning should aslo be in your toolbox

A dynamic picture (movign forward) show little, I would expect decent trim. The telling point is whether you can hold a "bliue water stop" with a visual reference. I would expect a deviation of no greater than +/-1' @ 15'

I know your practicing hard, but urge you to seek assistance and mentoring from established instructors, rather than those (however nice) who have clearly done you a disservice

To pass my PADI SM crse I had to demonstrate all of these kicks. My instructor wouldn’t let me go if I couldn’t do them. He even made me backkicked while attaching my 2nd deco tank and doing NOTOX.
It’s definitlt a must in my opinion also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom