My journey into tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SM is coming along. I've not done it much as I've been hitting Lake Michigan hard while the weather holds out.

Screen shot from video buddy got of me yesterday at the quarry. My trim and tank trim seem to be decent. I will get frog this winter if it kills me. Instructor told me it's a non-negotiable before I can do TDI SM class. I had an issue with being very leg heavy when I started diving dry again in August (after a year of diving wet), but that seems to have resolved itself. Oddly, when I tried to do frog yesterday, my right foot would not flex. I'm going to be working it every which way when I'm in front of the TV for a few weeks and see if that makes a difference.

I'm down to needing just 4 additional pounds SM with the 2 HP80s diving dry, but that's without a very heavy undergarment. I have a used Thermal Fusion on the way, so I suspect I might have to add those 2 lbs back on.

View attachment 484351
My trim is no one near perfect or anything like that but your knees are just too low.
Place 2kg near your upper body and it should work. Normally with tech guys people need heavy jet fins to stop their body going forward from what I’ve been told.

With back mount doubles/tech gear, it is true that heavier fins are often preferred to help offset weight of the tanks. However, most people diving SM go for a more neutral (or light) fin, due to differences in the distribution of the tank weight along the body.
Normally with tech guys people need heavy jet fins to stop their body going forward from what I’ve been told.

With back mount doubles/tech gear, it is true that heavier fins are often preferred to help offset weight of the tanks. However, most people diving SM go for a more neutral (or light) fin, due to differences in the distribution of the tank weight along the body.
Thank you for the info but those fins can’t get any lighter and she’s still in a head up position.

LP50's make GREAT boat sidemount tanks, but be aware your overall gas volume is significantly less than the current HP80 tanks you're using. You may want to get 2 sets if you're planning 2 dives per trip, or you will be pretty substantially limited if you decide to make 2 dives on them unless your consumption is stellar, or your dives are pretty short to begin with.

I've seen people mitigate it by transfilling from other tanks, but you end up bringing a bunch of tanks just to get a reasonable gas volume for the second dive if you're not pumping on the boat.

They don't come up used that often because they're pretty popular for both the SM crowd doing a single dive, and rebreather divers using them for backgas bailout a la PSCR's. It's not that they never come up, but pretty typically you won't save much money (% off new) in comparison to purchasing other used tanks. That being said, if you find a pair for a reasonable price, jump on them.

DRIS being your local shop, you might get a pretty good deal from them on a set of new tanks. The packages from DRIS, DGX, and Piranha, come with bands and a manifold and port plugs so you can separate them. At least they all did when I purchased mine, but it's worth checking again if you decide to go new.

I've decided against the LP50s for the time being after realizing I'd really need to have two pairs to do one charter. I've started doing deeper wrecks that I've been renting HP100s from the shop for (single tank BM). It makes more sense to get a pair of HP100s now. I'll want them for my trips to the Straits and Tobermory next season, so I might as well buy them instead of repeatedly renting them. I'd probably end up using them for SM once I go tech, anyway.

I've decided against the LP50s for the time being after realizing I'd really need to have two pairs to do one charter. I've started doing deeper wrecks that I've been renting HP100s from the shop for (single tank BM). It makes more sense to get a pair of HP100s now. I'll want them for my trips to the Straits and Tobermory next season, so I might as well buy them instead of repeatedly renting them. I'd probably end up using them for SM once I go tech, anyway.
Have you tried other tanks SM to figure out what works best? If you haven't you should before buying. Even just in the pool. The LP85 is pretty standard North Florida sidemount tank, though what tank works best depends on your body.

I've decided against the LP50s for the time being after realizing I'd really need to have two pairs to do one charter.
It isn't fewer tanks and I don't know the boat clutter issues..., but an option is to get the second pair as AL40's as the combination looks more versatile. If your future is mostly dives needing 170+ cu ft., the below likely does not make sense, though I've read that AL40s are very useful in tech.

2x LP50 2x AL40 covers two moderate dives or one 'big' one (all 4), with a small carry weight for the moderate dives. And lets you learn different tank dynamics. I'm *really* enjoying learning sidemount with my one set of tiny LP50s, that give me 90-110 minute dives with big reserves. Playing with buoyant tanks and easing into occasional stages would be fine with tiny tanks as well, with even more regs.

If you always need 170-200 cu.ft., for the dive or day, and only ever wear them on a boat, LP85s likely make more sense, and four tiny tanks is just silly clutter. But if you only sometimes need that much in the water, maybe not so silly. Plus you could double the AL40s if you ever want to gently explore back mount more.

Though I might regret the AL40s being smaller. Your original 4x LP50, that you did not like, solves that, but steels as stages seems viewed badly. I'm not sure if that applies as much if all of them are LP50s, but then you lose the learning about buoyant tanks aspect.

I would feel out fill costs, some shops here have charged my 2x LP50s as two tanks, some as one, and some do Nitrox by cu. ft. with a minimum charge. Some give fills that cool to 2650, some seem to think LP+ means 2250 when it's Nitrox.

Just some thoughts as a new to OW sidemount, 10 dives, more shore dive focused, thinking of options, perspective. Sort of a tech usually-small-stuff plan for learning, water ease, or shore carry. You might rent LP50s for one of your pool sessions.

@Marie13 Not sure what you had in mind for HP100s, but if you are looking used, the PST 3500 & evidently some PST 3442 psi tanks may not be officially approved for use in Canada. Otherwise great tanks.

Relevant discussion starts here: DOT exemption for PST E7 Tanks? Expires Soon? Renewed?

It isn't fewer tanks and I don't know the boat clutter issues..., but an option is to get the second pair as AL40's as the combination looks more versatile. If your future is mostly dives needing 170+ cu ft., the below likely does not make sense, though I've read that AL40s are very useful in tech.

2x LP50 2x AL40 covers two moderate dives or one 'big' one (all 4), with a small carry weight for the moderate dives. And lets you learn different tank dynamics. I'm *really* enjoying learning sidemount with my one set of tiny LP50s, that give me 90-110 minute dives with big reserves. Playing with buoyant tanks and easing into occasional stages would be fine with tiny tanks as well, with even more regs.

If you always need 170-200 cu.ft., for the dive or day, and only ever wear them on a boat, LP85s likely make more sense, and four tiny tanks is just silly clutter. But if you only sometimes need that much in the water, maybe not so silly. Plus you could double the AL40s if you ever want to gently explore back mount more.

Though I might regret the AL40s being smaller. Your original 4x LP50, that you did not like, solves that, but steels as stages seems viewed badly. I'm not sure if that applies as much if all of them are LP50s, but then you lose the learning about buoyant tanks aspect.

I would feel out fill costs, some shops here have charged my 2x LP50s as two tanks, some as one, and some do Nitrox by cu. ft. with a minimum charge. Some give fills that cool to 2650, some seem to think LP+ means 2250 when it's Nitrox.

Just some thoughts as a new to OW sidemount, 10 dives, more shore dive focused, thinking of options, perspective. Sort of a tech usually-small-stuff plan for learning, water ease, or shore carry. You might rent LP50s for one of your pool sessions.

My SM rig is meant for steels. I’m just not going to deal with aluminums and trying to get them to trim out. Renting LP50s not an option. I’m not concerned about fill costs. I am concerned about getting decent fills with LP tanks. Local folks have told me they have issues getting good fills outside of our shop. The quarries have no issue filling my HP tanks to service pressure.

Not sure why you’re mentioning Canada. I’m in the States.
Yep, got it.

Tobormory: I thought that was in Canada, right?

While I doubt the Mounties (and whatever Canadian CBP is called) is on the lookout for contraband tanks, you may not be able to get fills at some shops North of the border according to some of the comments in the thread that I referenced. I've been following that thread as I have 8 PST 3500s and am looking for PST E7 3442s - Stumbled across this one and thought I'd post an FYI. Something to consider/research if PSTs are in the mix and doing cross-border trips.

As an aside from another thread. Fusion Tech on order ... Thanks for helping to push me over the edge.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom