My journey into tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie...

First and foremost...your knees...technical diving...depending on interests...and required specialties...involves considerable ''task loading''...remembering also that physical limitations never improve or disappear as you age...they only intensify...

You may want to consider visiting a tech specialty shop in your area...and getting kitted up in the shop...and or the shop pool...to see what you can manage...''comfortably'' being paramount...

If doubles are out...you're looking at large singles...ranging from 100's to 133's...there's even a few 149's still around...over and above this...you're looking at slinging...stage/deco/bailout cylinders...these could be as small as 30's or 40's...

Having said that...your depth...bottom time...deco time is going to be dependent on the volume of gas you can comfortably manage...

Earning the skills and having the time and money...rebreathers are a lighter alternative...but you will still have to manage off-board gas volume as well...

Before you head off on an expensive adventure that for physical reasons may be unobtainable...source knowledgeable people...ask all the questions...try all the gear...sign up for try-dive sessions...including rebreather...find out what you can manage before you take any tech courses...

There are lots of fabulous wrecks in in the Great Lakes...located at the outer limits of ''recreational'' as well as off the coast of Morehead City and Beaufort North Carolina...absolutely nothing wrong with being an ''experienced...proficient...AOW diver''...
There's more wonderful AOW wreck sites than you'll ever see in a lifetime...

Proceed cautiously...and what ever you do...don't get talked into buying anything that you can't comfortably manage...

Peak performance Buoyancy is always a good start...as is navigation...

Stay Safe...

Warren

You’re a bit late to the party! :wink:. Read more of the thread. A lot has happened since Aug 2017 when I started it. :D Thanks for the comments.

You’re a bit late to the party! :wink:. Read more of the thread. A lot has happened since Aug 2017 when I started it. :D Thanks for the comments.

Marie...

I started reading this forum...your posts only...

I'm curious to know the ''tech'' courses you've successfully completed...and the gear configuration you're currently diving with...

You talked early about ''doubles not being possible...then I started reading about buying a used SM rig...doubles are doubles...secured back mounted doubles are far easier to manage than ''loose'' side-mount tanks...you won't climb up a Christmas Tree ladder in NC in 6/8 ft seas with side-mount...nor will you jump in the water and have your tanks lowered down to you with a 60 ft crew boat coming up out of the water in 6/8 ft seas...

Let me know...where you are currently...

Best...

Warren...

marie13:
EDIT: a guy friend said I needed to stop changing my gear around.
lowviz:
Nuh uh. You don't. (you might want to check if he is DIR). Keep messing, trying, and getting the real feel of changing gear.
I don't think there is necessarily an 'either-or', here.

I imagine that your guy friend was encouraging you to use a configuration enough to get a good feel for it, to see how it performs under different conditions, and whether you really are comfortable in the particular configuration, or with the particular piece of gear. Too often, divers will randomly change gear around, without having a reasonable baseline, against which to compare a different / new configuration. They will decide - for whatever reason - that they don't like something, or it doesn't 'work' for them, without giving the configuration a fair test. A good example - the first time I put my (then 15 y.o.) daughter in a BP/W, I got a very definite, 'No way, Jose!' response. She had been looking at a Zeagle Zena and thought that's what she wanted. I had her try the BP/W rig (because we already had several) on a dive trip. After diving it, she found she really (really, really) liked it and that is what she stayed with. She had to dive it several times before she had a good feel for it.

At the same time, lowviz also gives good advice. Over time, you will - and should - continue to tweak your rig. Something as small as moving a D-ring on a shoulder strap, or loosening (or tightening) a shoulder strap by half an inch, can make a lot of difference. Try wearing a light on a Goodman handle / glove / bracket on your right hand. Try it on the (recommended) left hand. See what works for you. I have discarded a lot of gear over the years - things that I thought I would like - because the gear just didn't work for me. But, I had to dive it enough before that point, so that I knew it wasn't working.

So, yes - don't go changing your rig around helter skelter without adequate testing. And, yes, continue to optimize your rig - tweak it - over time.

I don't think there is necessarily an 'either-or', here.

I imagine that your guy friend was encouraging you to use a configuration enough to get a good feel for it, to see how it performs under different conditions, and whether you really are comfortable in the particular configuration, or with the particular piece of gear. Too often, divers will randomly change gear around, without having a reasonable baseline, against which to compare a different / new configuration. They will decide - for whatever reason - that they don't like something, or it doesn't 'work' for them, without giving the configuration a fair test. A good example - the first time I put my (then 15 y.o.) daughter in a BP/W, I got a very definite, 'No way, Jose!' response. She had been looking at a Zeagle Zena and thought that's what she wanted. I had her try the BP/W rig (because we already had several) on a dive trip. After diving it, she found she really (really, really) liked it and that is what she stayed with. She had to dive it several times before she had a good feel for it.

At the same time, lowviz also gives good advice. Over time, you will - and should - continue to tweak your rig. Something as small as moving a D-ring on a shoulder strap, or loosening (or tightening) a shoulder strap by half an inch, can make a lot of difference. Try wearing a light on a Goodman handle / glove / bracket on your right hand. Try it on the (recommended) left hand. See what works for you. I have discarded a lot of gear over the years - things that I thought I would like - because the gear just didn't work for me. But, I had to dive it enough before that point, so that I knew it wasn't working.

So, yes - don't go changing your rig around helter skelter without adequate testing. And, yes, continue to optimize your rig - tweak it - over time.

Colliam...

I still think some of the best advise Marie has received was in my first response...posted late or not...being ''late to the party''...usually means you're the only one that's still sober...

She needs to take advantage of shop offered tri-dives...without spending any money...

It sounds to me and I certainly stand to be corrected...that she's taking recommendations from well intention-ed contributors...some who appear to not be technical divers...or having any more experience than she has...and ending up spending a lot of money for nothing...

Like so many divers...she's going to end up with two piles of gear...one large pile that proved to be useless...and one small useful pile...having had to pay for both...

I have guys in the shop regularly...''who have a better plan''...because of something they read...or some ''tricked out kit'' they saw on a dive charter...

Likes and wants are nice...needs based on practical application are what you need to strive for...

Marie has a goal...and goals are good...having said that...how far is one willing to go to make one dive...on one wreck...and this isn't a ''Robert Ballard'' worthy dive site Marie's talking about...

Best...

Warren

Marie...

I started reading this forum...your posts only...

I'm curious to know the ''tech'' courses you've successfully completed...and the gear configuration you're currently diving with...

You talked early about ''doubles not being possible...then I started reading about buying a used SM rig...doubles are doubles...secured back mounted doubles are far easier to manage than ''loose'' side-mount tanks...you won't climb up a Christmas Tree ladder in NC in 6/8 ft seas with side-mount...nor will you jump in the water an have your tanks lowered down to you with a 60 ft crew boat coming up out of the water in 6/8 ft seas...

Let me know...where you are currently...

Best...

Warren...

I will only be diving Great Lakes wrecks. Boats generally don’t go out when the waves are higher than 3ft. Don’t give a flying fig about diving anywhere else. SM wasn’t good on the boat, so now I’m giving backmounted doubles a try this winter in the pool, then the quarry, and then the boat if they work out. If they work out, I’d like to take Intro to Tech later next season.

And this isn’t a goal to dive the Hume only once. I’ve got a whole list of wrecks, plus more bottom time on shallower wrecks.

I have a very good tech shop that is heavily into Great Lakes diving. They have multiple charter boats on the Lakes, as well.

I will only be diving Great Lakes wrecks. Boats generally don’t go out when the waves are higher than 3ft. Don’t give a flying fig about diving anywhere else. SM wasn’t good on the boat, so now I’m giving backmounted doubles a try this winter in the pool, then the quarry, and then the boat if they work out. If they work out, I’d like to take Intro to Tech later next season.

And this isn’t a goal to dive the Hume only once. I’ve got a whole list of wrecks, plus more bottom time on shallower wrecks.

I have a very good tech shop that is heavily into Great Lakes diving. They have multiple charter boats on the Lakes, as well.

Marie...

If I'm reading right...you haven't successfully completed any tech courses...and you've yet to find a kit that works for you...it also sounds as though the spending has begun...

If you're going to try ''steel'' doubles...start with HP 80's...3AL 80's are less expensive...and lighter...however depending on back-plate...what you're slinging...and other accessories...you may need 10 pounds of ballast to keep 3AL 80's neutral...so now you're looking at either a V-weight...or weight pockets...

Try all the options...ask all the questions...leave your CC at home...sounds like your pile of gear that ''didn't work''...is already starting to grow...

Doubles on a rocking boat is challenging...the lighter and smaller you are...the more challenging...if you start falling there is no recovery...only trying to fall in a way where you hurt yourself the least...if you have a problem with your knees now...any...''unplanned event'' will not only ruin your day...it could end your diving permanently...

If doubles do work for you...suggest you log about 50 dives before you go any further...take your time...the wrecks aren't going anywhere...

Somebody once said...''haste makes waste''...

Best of luck...

Warren

Marie...

If you're going to try ''steel'' doubles...start with HP 80's...3AL 80's are less expensive...and lighter...however depending on back-plate...what you're slinging...and other accessories...you may need 10 pounds of ballast to keep 3AL 80's neutral...so now you're looking at either a V-weight...or weight pockets...

Try all the options...ask all the questions...leave your CC at home...sounds like your pile of gear that ''didn't work''...is already starting to grow...

Doubles on a rocking boat is challenging...the lighter and smaller you are...the more challenging...if you start falling there is no recovery...only trying to fall in a way where you hurt yourself the least...if you have a problem with your knees now...any...''unplanned event'' will not only ruin your day...it could end your diving permanently...

If doubles do work for you...suggest you log about 50 dives before you go any further...take your time...the wrecks aren't going anywhere...

Somebody once said...''haste makes waste''...

Best of luck...

Warren

HP80s are my doubles and what I’ve been diving single tank for more than a year. I’m small but I’m not light. I dive a steel BP.

I don’t keep gear that doesn’t work. I sell it. My SM BC has already been sold and mailed out to buyer. The first AL80s I had were sold to a dive buddy. The sold gear funds other purchases.

I’m one of the more deliberate, long term planners here. Some people don’t like that. You’d see that if you’d read the entire thread. I gave myself 5 years (now 4) to get to the Hume.

Shoulders should be loose.
<snip>
Waist belt should be tight.
And crotch strap tight enough to take your voice two octaves higher.
OK, not that tight. Only one octave.

Seriously though, shoulder strap was the thing I spent the most time futzing with. My initial tendency was to want it super snug to keep the doubles stable and locked down on my back but now have found that having it as loose as @JohnnyC describes works way better for overall comfort, tank position for trim and to be able to reach valves, venting drysuit, etc.

I used to crank down the waist strap as well but found that it was really hard to get my can light cord tucked in one handed. Didn't even think this would be something I would have to think of but it was. If you use a cordless light, this is moot but maybe something to consider.

Yes, the small Eddy fins. I’ve been thinking of switching them for Apeks RK fins. They now have them in pink, but I like the visibility of white for my local conditions. The Eddys are nice and light, but they really do seem too floppy to me.
The small Eddys are supposed to be the softer polymer - I think the buoyancy characteristics are the same. Still, I wasn't expecting them to be as floppy as your video showed; that was very telling.

I tried size L Eddys with double BM AL80s, drysuit and very thin undergarments in fresh water and found they were too light to balance properly. I have pretty long legs and tend to not be floaty as well. Of course, everyone's body needs different setups but I think you may need heavy fins like Jets or F1s with the shorty HP80 doubles - AFAIK, the Apeks fins are neutrally buoyant similar to the Eddys.

I’m going to see what happened during first pool session with doubles and Deep6 fins before I make any changes. I’ll see about borrowing fins to try, but I’m a medium with my drysuit (XS in drysuit booties), and it seems most folks I know locally have bigger feet than I do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom