Going to buy a Kaila today--should there be an intervention?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karie2b

Reaction score
Hello!

I am relatively new to scuba diving--have only done about 10 dives. I am interested in making diving more of a hobby rather than something I do every couple of years while on vacation. I have tried on a few "men's" BC's, and then tried on the Mares Kaila...I am pretty short with a pretty..ahem..large chest, and it seemed to fit much better than other BC's. I do want to stay with a jacket BC, which eliminated a lot of the other choices. My question is for people who have a Kaila or personally know someone who uses it:

If given the choice, would you buy the Kaila again? What do you like about it/don't like about it?

I am hoping to go to the store tonight to pick it up, so if there needs to be an intervention it has to be today! :)

Thank you so much for any feedback!

The instructor I'm doing my DM with uses a Kaila as do several other people I dive with. The one lady that dives with us is short and large on top. Mares is one of the top dive equipment companies and make very good gear.

My wife tried a few BC's before settling on the Kaila. She loves it.

We sell at ton at the shop I work at...more than any other women's BC. Go for it! It is my mother's favorite, my girlfriend's favorite, etc.

Have you tried the new Aliikai also by Mares?? A friend of mine (instructor) had the Kaila and replaced it with the Aliikai recently, she likes the new one much more...

Althoug I have not tried any of them (difficult being a 192cm, 95kg guy :wink: ) I've always prefered back inflation BCDs.

My wife is looking for buying the Aliikai as well.
However, we don't know which size should go after.
My wife is 5"6' 119lbs. She should fit XS according to the size chart.
But we read a review about one female diver feel the XS is too big for her (5"6' 125Lbs)
She may fit XXS. My wife is even less weight.
However, we worry if its too small we can not adjust it.

Any one can help??

Are you planning to buy from your local dive shop?

If so, do they have any in their rental fleet?

If not, any dive buddys that would let you try theirs?

If buying online, can you return/exchange after test dive?

I will buy from Leisure pro, they have exchange policy for wrong size.
However, it will cost me too much to exchange because I live in Australia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom