Going to Cairns / Port Douglas in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ioncloud9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Looking for some good recommended dive operators in the area. Preferably not a big operator with dozens of people on the boat.

Plenty around. See here for some of the better trips. Reef Day Tripper has low numbers and a really fun day out.

Don't discount some of the bigger operators though because have fantastic sites and plenty of room on board as well as the Reef. Tusa or Evolution for Cairns and I agree with ABC out of Port or Aquaquest which although is bigger boat rarely takes capacity.

hat are typical dive profiles? Should availability of nitrox be a concern?

Nitrox not necessary on day trips and rarely available.

Average depths around 15m (50ft). Day trips suit all level of divers but the Outer Reef boats that can get further out usually have deeper sites. Having daid that best stuff is shallower.

I recall diving out of Cairns when I was new to diving (less than 25 dives). The feeling I got was that the day boat operators there are very conservative, and they don't take new divers to challenging sites. I used one of the big operators, Tusa Dive, because I didn't know anything about choosing a dive op. They dropped me onto a reef about 25 ft down, and it was spectacular. (Not sure how healthy the Reef is today, but that's not your question.)

I dove with "ABC Scuba Diving Port Douglas" in Port Douglas 2 years ago. It was a fun day trip on a nice boat with small group of people.

i went out with Tusa from Cairns and had an amazing 3 dives on the reef ... i cant recomend them enough

i haven't dived out of Port Douglass but we stayed up there last year and went out with Calypso Reef Cruises who were recommended by the resort staff (housekeeping Lady who gushed about them) and then the front desk staff who booked it for us. on that day i was talking with some of the divers on the way back and they were happy.

i would go out again with either

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom