Going to Phuket/Phi Phi & Vietnam, need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:whoa:

thanks for the pronuniation, I didn't know, thats why I asked. It sounds like a very interesting place

Juls64

We went into Patong one night for dinner and found the US Navy were visiting - they were moored at Phuket Town harbour. The sight had to be seen to be believed. I think you get the drift.

Patong is the sort of place it's Ok to visit once for dinner but I'd never want to stay there.

Regards

Spent 9 weeks in Phuket last/this year, dived with Marina Divers based in Kata/Karon.

1. Don't do the shore based diving from Karon (I think?) there is not a lot to see.

2. A lot of the other dive shops use Marina Divers boats, so you might as well go to the horses mouth, rather than the backside!

3. Marina divers do all the trips and liveaboards.

4. If you are looking for a cheap place to stay, we stayed in Kata family house. it is behind the main road (not so much noise) up an alley between a tailors and the photographic shop next to the dino restaurant opposite the steak house.

5. Patong is over priced full of lady boys, and when the yanks turn up with an aircraft carrier and support vessles full of yanks with too much money spoiling it all.

6. Bangkok is full of hotels, but Kosan Road is probably your best bet, about 500bht from airport and most of the guest houses have pick up points for buses to airport. Get dropped off at start of Kosan road, meter runs and it will take 1/2 an hour + to drive it (5 - 10 mins to walk). walk to end with the temple at end, turn right and cross road so temple is on left side, then take next left (temple still on left side). Can't remember name of road but there are lots of cheap rooms down there (not as noisey as Kosan road and 1 min walk from it) and lots of pick ups for bus to airport.

7 Don't rent a bike, you have no insurance and are liable for repairs and damage to people as your travel insurance does not cover you for motorised vehicles including jet skis unless you pay the extra ££'s.

Trust me I know first hand, my brother ran over a Swedish woman who walked out in front of him......fractured her skull and pelvis, broke: both her cheek bones, 5 ribs, punctured her lung and gashed her leg. they had to drill drain holes in her skull because of fluid build up, she also died and had to be de fibbed, luckily she came round. He walked away with cuts bruises and has to live with it.

Any more info, I'm your man, seeing as my wife is from Phuket, and she still has lots of friends there who can help, one of which works in a dive shop in Kata/Karon, but can't remember which one.

check my web site for dive photo's!!!!!!!!!!:eek:ut:

On Phi Phi

See:
www.travelforum.org/thailand for tons of information on travelling in this area.

Also, The Lonely Planet Travel guides have great information on this area, but, EVERY traveller has it, so the accomodations listed in it are usually a little more crowded and a little more expensive than they should be. I carried two books on my first trip and had the best luck when I found something in the Rough Guide that suited me, and it wasn't in Lonely Planet.

There are three resorts on the north end of PP island. They are absolutely beautiful, but secluded... 20 minute longtail ride to town (Ton Sai Bay). They are priced around the same as the high end hotels (like the PP Princess) in town. I've stayed at the following places on Phi Phi:

PP Island Village (one of those three on the north end, supposedly the nicest). It was about $70 US a night for a beach front private bungalow. One of the nicest places I have ever stayed. Along the lines of the Rockefeller resorts in the Carribean or the "Top 10 Safari Camps" in Africa. That being said, the Gold Palm dive shop on Premises is more expensive than the dozens of shops in town... and twice as expensive for the most common dive trip: KingCruiser/Anenome/Shark Point.

PP Princess. (right next to the main peers). Overpriced when compared to PPIV, but a nice, small clean bungalows and a great location for Ton Sai Bay. The problem with that area of PP is I think it smells like sewage and has too many mossies.

Charlies. I thought this place was horrible, but many people, espcially the backpackers, swear by it. Cheapest bungalows on a very nice beach (crowded and very shallow for 100s of yards). If you want one right on the beach, email ahead. Good, cheap restaraunt.

And a nice, tiled bungalow right on the beach for $20US/night. It is down by the new Mosque, over the bridge (there is one main road/path on PP). It is out of town (but, you pass all the dive shops, so you'll always know who is diving where the following day... which, is kinda how you book diving on PP... last minute). About a 10 minute walk from the pier, very nice (but crowded like Charlies/Princess). I like this beach better than the one at Charlies, but, I'm in a very small minority.

If you make a left off the pier there is a hotel/bungalow complex that looked very nice. On a very nice beach. Looks secluded and private.

I've dove with White and Blue and PP Divers. Both have very good reputations. Moskito Diving has the best rep on the island, and a plush liveaboard for the Similans... and, they sometimes do two day trips to Hin Maeung/Hin Daueng... which I highly highly recommend.

The best restaurant on PP is a French place that has an open front. It is right near the beginning of the cobblestone path/road... the Blue something or other. Cheap, decent wine list (South African, French wines are way overpriced in Thailand, and they tend to have off year vintages).

I've never dove from Phuket (other than launching from Chalong to get to Similans), but I have stayed in Kata and Patong. Don't stay in Chalong, unless you are on a boat moored. Kata is nice (and I regret never having dived off of Coral Island, another place along the lines of PP Island Village). Patong is a specticle worth seeing. I regret havning wasted my time staying there (got in at 5pm, left at 10am and wished I had stayed to Karon or Kata and shot up there for diner). Phuket is just not my cup of tea. Most of the very serious divers head to PP... although cheaper liveaboards are available in Phuket (and they all leave from Chalong, not from PP... You take the ferry over).

BKK... tons of places. Koh San is a good starting place... espcially if you are heading into Viet Nam... You'll meet plenty of people who have just come from there... it is kind of the central hub of the SEAsia traveller. Personally, I prefer China Town on the river (River View Guest house, but, a LonelyPlanet special). Or, further down towards the Orient hotel there is a variety of accomodations and some very good deals. Any of these places are good to do the BKK touristy thing (although, have your suits made in Viet Nam, cheaper the town that is famous for it is just South of Daneng, a well liked travel stop for the American/European traveller). If you are comuting through BKK (arriving and departing) you might want to start on Koh San, and finish elsewhere.

The links listed in this thread are all very good sites, the one I listed was my personal favorite. Also, you can get up to the minute information on the Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree board.

and I'm moving in a month. Do you want me to mail them to you? I have LP, LP map, The Rough Guide and, The Dive Sites of Thailand... autographed by the author (whose email address I have someplace.. maybe in the book). There are new editions of the LP out now. Email me your address and I'll drop them in the mail if you like.

Don’t always believe the lonely planet or rough guide, we (my wife and I) were looking in the dictionary for Thai/English translations
And she pointed out quite a few errors, one they said was a type of bread, when it was a pancake filled with fruit………how you can get that wrong god only knows.
the deep blue

Are the months of September, October, and November considered rainy season in Thailand? I just found an interesting package of air from the East Coast on Cathay Pacific (an absolutely fantastic airline for travel to Asia), 3 nights in Bangkok, air to Phuket, 7 nights in Phuket (at Kata Beach Resort), and back home. The offer is for September through November. Should I assume that the attractive pricing reflects a rainy season?

Officially, the Phuket side rainy season ends at the end October so November should be fine. I aslo found the rainy season in Phuket side still provides better diving than the good season in the Gulf side. So the rainy season isn't that bad. It only rains 15-60 min a day if its rains. Kata is a nice beach, avoid Patong. Also takes a day trip to Phi Phi Island. I don't think Phuket dive shops offer day trip to Similan. But if you can find one, take it. Similan Islands offer the best diving in Thailand.

It is still the rainy season, sometimes as late as Dec 1 (like last year), and that can kill the vis (like last year). So, go as late as they allow. Even if the vis is only 35-60, it is still worth it.

Don't judge Thailand on Bangkok or Phuket/Phi Phi alone, they are exceptions and far from the rule of what is Thailand.

Cathay Pacific is a great airline, look into extending the trip with a prolonged stay in Thailand, a couple of days in Hong Kong and/or a couple of days in Vancouver, BC (or Anchorage). Your flight will stop in each place and the extra charge per destination was under $20 for HK, and around $50 for BC. The 11pm flight from JFK gets you into BKK at 10:30 am (or HKK at 7:30am), which is perfect. Have an easy day and go to bed early, jet lag solved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom