Going to twins, best way?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dredgy

Registered
Reaction score
So after 60+ dives, I've finally got my single tank rig dialled in and perfect and I credit that to two really great flukes of equipment choice - my BC and my tank. However, now that things are perfect, time to change things up and try twin cylinders.

My main reason for twins (aside from "why not?") is that I have trouble with dexterity in my hands - nothing major, but I find tightening straps and tying knots very difficult and changing tanks on a rocky, confined boat is something I find extremely unenjoyable and on one dive has resulted in a tank falling off because I couldn't tighten properly.

I have a 12.2L Faber compact steel (the short, dumpy one) and absolutely love the mofo, though it is heavier than I'd prefer when out of the water, as I'm quite weak (but I am a tall, young guy so people assume I'm alot stronger than I am :p)

The cheapest way for me to go to twins would simply be to get a second cylinder of the same type. This is also very tempting for me as I would assume it would allow me to ditch all of my weight. The only thing I don't like about the idea is I'm not sure I would be physically capable of lifting the rig.

I have two dive operators in my town - one is just some guy, who only goes out when the weather is perfect. In the case I go out with him, there's no real issue as I can take the rig out of my car, put it on his boat and we go straight to a dive site. On the other hand, if I'm with the other operator, I have to transfer from my car onto a ferry, take the ferry across to the island, then carry my gear for about a 10 minute walk to the dive shop before loading it onto the boat. In either situation though I almost always put my gear on in the water, so actually wearing the stuff on the boat isn't a huge problem.

Aluminium cylinders are too hard/expensive to buy here, so I'll be going manifolded steels either way, but I'm just unsure exactly what.

I'm thinking of:
2x Normal Faber 12Ls - probably lighter
2x Compact Faber 12Ls - considerably cheaper since I only have to buy one cylinder. But very heavy.
2x Faber 15Ls - about the same weight as the compacts, but with extra air.

I have to travel to do a sidemount course, so just manifolds for the time being. What would you do?

Travel, side mount is the thing for someone who thinks an 80 is to heavy.

I will be travelling and taking the course, but it’s a ways off. Also, even if I learn sidemount, I still have to carry the cylinders 10 minutes up sand dunes so it makes no difference in that regard. With back mount manifolds, at least they can be worn like a backpack!

I will be travelling and taking the course, but it’s a ways off. Also, even if I learn sidemount, I still have to carry the cylinders 10 minutes up sand dunes so it makes no difference in that regard. With back mount manifolds, at least they can be worn like a backpack!
A backpack that is twice (+) as heavy as the one you use now. You haven’t perfected your single tank rig if a simple tank change results in having to tighten things, I don’t know what your using now but it can be improved.

A backpack that is twice (+) as heavy as the one you use now. You haven’t perfected your single tank rig if a simple tank change results in having to tighten things, I don’t know what your using now but it can be improved.

I only own one cylinder, so my “perfect” rig (yes, there are for sure things I can improve on it but I can maintain great trim, buoyancy and air consumption with it) is only useable for one dive, then I have to switch to the rental cylinders which are taller and thinner and aluminium and less comfortable. Even if I was to just buy a second compact cylinder, I’d still have to loosen and tighten when switching a tank and I much prefer to have everything set up the night before I go out, so I can spend the time to get it right. And I’d still have to carry it across the island.

A compact 12L cylinder is I believe a 100, not an 80 (though my imperial is rusty) and is considerably heavier than a standard (non-compact) one. I can carry an AL80 with little issue,

Everything I said in my original post is valid to my requirements.

You have to transport the tanks, yes, but you might not have to carry them. What about some sort of hand cart with large wheels, like they use for golf? Or children? Or clay guns?

Well who am I to question your vast experience, you will be better off renting a doubles rig to see how it works for you.

You have to transport the tanks, yes, but you might not have to carry them. What about some sort of hand cart with large wheels, like they use for golf? Or children? Or clay guns?

Not outside the realm of possibility. In fact, probably a smart idea if I can get one that works over sand, so thanks a lot! :)

However, that’s a bit of a derailment of the thread, I’m really just after specifics of what tank I should be buying!

Well who am I to question your vast experience, you will be better off renting a doubles rig to see how it works for you.

Not an option, and I’m happy to buy and see how it works. If it doesn’t, I can repurpose the extra tanks for sidemount later. My experience is anything but vast, but the last 10 dives or so there’s not been much to see so I’m looking for new challenges!

I'd go to the gym (and perhaps a personal trainer and/or a physical therapist) for some moderate conditioning knowing that it's very likely to improve my enjoyment of the activity.

By going to a twinset, you may relieve yourself of having to switch tanks but you're going to incur some new challenges with valve drills given your dexterity.

I'd keep it simple and work on getting yourself as fit as possible for the activity rather than pursuing a more complicated equipment solution.

Also, get a beach cart with fat wheels for the sand slog.

Back
Top Bottom