GOLD Plated JBL Spear Gun-- HELP !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread brings to mind: Da plane, da plane, boss! Da plane! as well as rich Corinthian leather.

Interesting observation about the interest and longevity of SCUBA board divers ...
Post a question about a very rare 38 year old diving item and only a very [few] divers read the post and even fewer few vintage divers respond.

It is interesting which posts draw attention and others don't. I suspect that the title is the biggest factor in the "click" or "pass" decision. IMO, the first question people ask themselves is "is there something I want to learn" and the second is "can I contribute to the discussion". A distant third factor is "am I interested that forum". I doubt "who wrote the post" is a factor except for the relatively few frequent posters.

@abnfrog
Stated
"...., NOTHING is beyond fixing its just a matter of time and money send me a pic maybe I can give you an option you haven't thought of pm me ill send my e mail …"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Will send a picture later

The gun is now at a local auto body shop owned by one of the very active local divers who is, like you, is one who does miracles with metal .

Than you so much for your concern

When Alex and Diana ( Peirce ) last visited about 6 months ago we sat down for 2 days and recorded several interviews centered around very old spear guns- a considerable amount of time was spent on the Golden Gun.

It seems he has stopped producing his programs.
I just might pick up where he left off

Thanks again

SAM

Alec Pierce is still doing videos.
Last one came out just 2 days ago.
Presuming we are talking about the same guy.

A picture is worth a thousand words.
JBL gold platee commemorative edition.jpg

JBL GOLD PLATED GUN DETAILS.jpg

cool as hell , if it was made of aluminum it can be plated (24 kt ) OR anodized in a gold colour ......carbon steel or ss can only be plated

It is a diving forum, Sam, you and Akimbo are two posters that I always read. Unfortunately, I have little to add to your knowledge, I just read and catalogue for the future.

I have only ever used a pole spear, so I love to hear your tales of hunting and Akimbo to depths I would never challenge.

Most of the hard work is in the polishing as the plating is relatively straight forwards. For example like automotive parts you could have the alloy parts plated with copper, nickel and a final chrome coat. I suggested to the company that they could do another commemorative edition with burgundy barrels and chrome parts, but unfortunately for now the alloy handle guns are discontinued. I bought two of the last “Sawed-Off Magnum” guns before they were out of stock, however these guns have plastic muzzles, but there are plenty of old guns around if you want to do a project of your own with the biplane wing alloy muzzle.

I have done thousands of car part restorations on custom and antique cars bikes etc when I had my plating co , when a part was so bad it could nod be fixed we cast up a new part , like I said before EVERYTHING can be fixed it just gets prohibitly expensive ...when I did my wifes 74 monte carlo grill I put 200 hrs in to it to make it perfect ...I swore I would never do it again ,that grill would (should ) have cost 5 k almost more than the car was worth , just put it away for the winter yesterday and looked at the grill it is still as good as the day I did it ..!

It is interesting which posts draw attention and others don't. I suspect that the title is the biggest factor in the "click" or "pass" decision. IMO, the first question people ask themselves is "is there something I want to learn" and the second is "can I contribute to the discussion". A distant third factor is "am I interested that forum". I doubt "who wrote the post" is a factor except for the relatively few frequent posters.
I almost never consider the section of the board a post is on. My scubaboard link goes directly to "new posts". Title, number of responses, and (sometimes) author are what attracts me to a post. @Sam Miller III and @drbill are some of the few authors that I read because of the author.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom