• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Golem Gear 35# single tank wing?

Discussion in 'Buoyancy Compensators (BC's) and Weight Systems' started by Eric Sedletzky, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Killercavecow

Killercavecow Angel Fish

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Just had a recent experience with Deep6 and it was great! Answered all my questions, followed up, was prompt, and on a SUNDAY! Could not be more pleased.

Eric Sedletzky likes this.
  2. george_austin

george_austin Manta Ray

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Lets see, . . . The VDH Argonaut 18 looks identical to the Oxy 18 but with a more attractive price point. In fact, the savings would finance a boat trip to do the check out dives. For single tank sport diving, this looks more than acceptable Like button

3. ams511

ams511 Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I wouldn't say the inner panel is especially wide but the wing looked wider side to side then my Halcyon 30. Although in fairness the Golem does have more lift. If you are looking for reasonably priced narrow wing with more lift than the VDH check out the Mares XR 10 (22 lb) and 16 (34 lb). The newer Apeks wings are narrow but pricey. Then there is always the Oxycheq and DSS.

What I remember from old discussions is that if the inner panel is too narrow the wing cannot fully inflate so you get less lift, especially with 8" diameter tanks.

4. cool_hardware52

cool_hardware52 Dive Equipment Manufacturer

A narrow and flatter plate profile will most definitely impact how a wing inflates. That's exactly why DSS determines lift as follows:

1) Weigh an empty wing, record that value

2) Assemble the rig with the most restrictive components, Large Plate, Weight plates and 8" diameter tank. (There is a reason I have Faber LP 120's :) )

3) Fill the wing until the OPV vents only water, using care to chase out any air bubbles.

4) Carefully dis assemble the full wing from the rig and weigh it full

5) Subtract the "full" value from the empty value. The difference is the actual useful capacity of the wing.

The difference between filling a wing in the "free" state, i.e. just resting on the parking lot, not assembled to anything and filling a wing constrained by a plate and cylinder can exceed 5 lbs.

Tobin

couv and george_austin like this.
  5. Eric Sedletzky

Eric Sedletzky Great White

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    With standard plates this is more true that they reduce lift when combined with narrow inner panel wings and fat tanks. However my plates are completely different from conventional doubles plates in that they are narrow and contoured like an old back pack, and where they flare out towards the bottom they are curved and also stand off the tank by over an inch. The tapered tank rail allows the bottom of the tank to be kicked out about 3 degrees which aligns the tank with the center axis of your body. It also allows the wing to inflate evenly even though the base is wider than the top. Using a wide center panel wing with my plate looks a little silly because you see a bunch of wasted panel material on each side where there could be usable wing. And all this of course leads to the streamlining thing, wider wings create more drag. So this is why we look for the narrowest wings we can find.

couv likes this.
  6. t1tan

t1tan Angel Fish

Hah, I've been checking back every week or so just to see if there is any news of more plates. I want two for sure!

Eric Sedletzky likes this.
  7. Bubblesong

Bubblesong Marine Scientist

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    So I ordered the freedom plate and I am looking at hog donut wing to go with it. divers supply has one $169 that is bungees, 32lb.
    Can I ask why you prefer 23lb version?
    I am hoping to use this travel to warm water and travel to Great Lakes, so perhaps travel means smaller wing is better?

8. stuartv

stuartv Seeking the Light

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Nothing to do with travel. I just like a smaller, more streamlined wing if I don't need the extra lift. 23# is more than enough for me diving in warm water with a single steel 120 tank.

Jordan Trotter and Bubblesong like this.