Goliath grouper season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is that where they are training the tiger sharks to feed from divers?

oh yeah don't wear yellow fins..

[video=vimeo;100606934]http://vimeo.com/100606934[/video]

What are the depths of those wrecks?

Jupiter wreck trek is about 85 with a shovel. But I like the Jup> MG111 site which is 75 to the sand. I like it better because there are alot of GG's still but it's more open and they can't hide as well so taking pictures/video is easier. If you are taking photo's with a point and shoot with built in strobe, try turning it off to reduce backscatter. There also will be a cloud of bait fish following each GG and honestly, video brings out the best unless you have an more expensive still shot setup. You'll have a great time, it's really cool to see these volkswagen's swimming around.

That video is awesome Dumpster! so lucky you found your gun!

Dove the Sheridon on the 6th of july and saw MANY huge goliaths, probably 15-20 all hanging around the wreck pretty close.

Is that where they are training the tiger sharks to feed from divers?

oh yeah don't wear yellow fins..

Jupiter Dive Center doesn't feed sharks but Emerald does. The feedings are at the north end of the wreck trek or the stern of the Bonaire.

---------- Post added July 21st, 2014 at 02:52 PM ----------

......... MG111 site which is 75 to the sand. I like it better because there are alot of GG's still but it's more open and they can't hide as well so taking pictures/video is easier.....

Yeah, this is a great dive. I've only done it once but had a fantastic experience: the pillars on the north end of the actual barge are very cool as well. I think the site is a little closer to the inlet so might be just a bit more tide dependent for good visibility.

As far as the "dominion over all animals bit" - I'm going to try and avoid that third rail, but I figure if God wanted me to have dominion over groupers and sharks as a hunter I would not have been designed as a thin-skinned, small-jawed, blunt-toothed, finless, air-breathing biped with poor underwater senses.

I just see it as we have to enter their domain using a whole lot of clumsy gear that's somewhat effective for only a short period of time. That makes me the interloper who ought to be thankful for what he can get from the ocean using his equipment and skills - not the one who owns the place and everything in it. I don't have an absolute moral objection to the idea of spearing goliaths and sharks; I just would rather the reason be something more than "they get in my way."

Not to derail the thread…but

What if we saw chimpanzees holding their breath and catching fish? I would guess they could learn. It'd be on Nat Geo and we'd all be in awe of the chimps that figured it out. No one would say that they don't belong in the water because they don't have gills or bodies built for swimming etc etc. We'd all be stoked.

But let a human do that and it's bad…..I just don't understand when people say we're invading their environment. That's what we do. We're the ultimate predator. Accept what you are grasshopper……just kidding. But we were born to kill. :D

So the goliaths gather in big aggregations to spawn up there? That would be awesome to see.

That video is awesome Dumpster! so lucky you found your gun!

Dove the Sheridon on the 6th of july and saw MANY huge goliaths, probably 15-20 all hanging around the wreck pretty close.

LOL,, the guy who lost his gun (and his buddies) exhibited all the traits of a small troop of underwater clowns.. That was just a video I saw somewhere else.

Jewfish can be extremely aggressive around speared fish and they can be hard to deal with, but if that fish had been handled properly (and protected by the other divers) it should not have been lost.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom