Good battery for a new light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@fmerkel the light may well shut off abruptly since most of the lights have low voltage protection build into them.
@RIHappyDiver

Depends entirely on the light. I have a few that just get dimmer, 2 that flash, and one that shuts off. I use almost exclusively flat top, no protection, but I have a decent working knowledge of the tech.

Does the OP care to list the actual light?

Depends entirely on the light. I have a few that just get dimmer, 2 that flash, and one that shuts off. I use almost exclusively flat top, no protection, but I have a decent working knowledge of the tech.

Does the OP care to list the actual light?

the ones that get dimmer still usually have a low voltage cutoff built in. What happens there is the driver is not constant output, it's a linear output in order to extend burn time. Below is an example of that. When the lumens drop off, it doesn't mean that the cell has gone to 0v, it just means the electronics cut it off. It may mean that the cell has gone to 0v if it is unprotected and there is no low voltage cutoff, but I don't know of any lights off hand that don't have at least one of them. Highly recommend protected cells though,

chart.jpeg

@fmerkel, it’s a Deep6gear, came with a flat top, no brand listed.

That's an Archon V10 XM-L2
Decent light it would seem. No personal experience. I might get something like this if my UK SL3 ever dies.
Appears to have low voltage cut-off according to the link site above.
[With battery over-discharging protection, polarity reversing protection]

Which more clearly shows the value of having an analyzing charger. Seems too many sources claim about anything they want on battery capacity and LED output. Makes it difficult for the consumer.

So, it sounds as if the Panasonics are the way to go, as well as the Opus charger/tester. Two more questions that may sound silly, but I am completely ignorant when it comes to rechargeable batteries. 1) Does it matter if the mAh rating is higher? (Based on other posts it sounds as if it is better that it is higher.) 2) Should I purchase just one of the new batteries to make sure it will physically fit my light. Thanks, again, for all of your help. This has been a good education process.

Erik

1. maH rating is basically the size of the gas tank. Bigger the tank, the longer you can go between filling up. 3400mah is about as big they get
2. depends on how often you plan on doing multiple 1+ hour dives in the same day with the light on high the whole time. Only you can answer that

My bad, I meant purchase one new battery to check size before I purchase additional of the same. I'm going to Bonaire in January and planned on taking 2-3 batteries, just in case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom