Good battery for a new light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good point.

of note, these have a strip that goes down the side of the cells to be able to detect voltage on them. On one or two of my lights, they are a SNUG fit where to get the battery out, so you hav eto remove the head, then kidn of "throw" the body to get the battery to slide out, but that's only because it creates a bit of a vacuum with the snug fit. Nothing that alters functionality

BEWARE of "bigger/more" is better. There are some crap batteries (Ultrafire being a poster child for the breed) that will claim, 4000, 5000 > all the way up to 9000mA!!!! for a 18650.
THERE ARE NO SUCH BATTERIES! 18560 of major brand names (Panasonic, Sony, LG, Samsung) max out at 3400mA. Even then if you check them they are generally 3200-3300mA.

A protected battery is simply one of these cells that has a protection circuit 'grafted' on to it, which makes it.....longer....and if the way this circuit is applied there may be a thin strip down the side under the shrink wrap connecting positive to negative. This makes it a tad bigger diameter. A few lights may not take well to the extra length and diameter.
If you have any slop at all in your stock battery case, this should not be a problem.

NOTE - native Panasonic batteries do not have a protection circuit. That is placed afterward by some other entity. This modification is a common practice and not necessarily indicative of any problem.

It’s been awhile but I wanted to give you folks an update. I ordered a couple of the Panasonic button tops and the Opus charger/tester. The button tops do, indeed, fit in the Deep6gear light and work like champs. The battery that came with the light seems good, but the Panasonics are outlasting by a long shot. The charger is great, though I need to play with it more to unlock all of it’s secrets (meaning the “what’s that do” phase of learning). Thanks again for all the input. @tbone1004, I also got the Raider light sock. Haven’t tried it on a dive yet, but it’s been great for walking the dog! Look forward to putting it to the real test.

Erik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom