Good BP/W for travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thomjinx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello Fellow Divers,

I have quite happily been using a SeaQuest Passport BC. This model is designed to be light weight and pack up small. No complaints, but I have been thinking that a BP/W setup could be just as small and light, if not moreso, plus I think I would enjoy the diving characeristics of this type of setup.

I do primarily warm water diving in SE Asia, Carribean and Florida. I wear anything from a rashie and trunks to a 3 mil wetsuit. Most of the time, I dive in a 1 mil tropical jumpsuit.

So, I don't need it to do doubles, but I would like to add integrated weights and pockets. A non-backplate design is appealing, but an aluminum or composite backplate could probably work.

Any suggestions and personal experiences would be welcome.

Thanks,
Thomjinx

I would go with a plastic/ABS style (or similiar) BP. This will be lighter than SS and also generally lighter and less bulky than something like a non-backplate style BC and will dry faster too. Extra fabric and padding weighs more, is more bulky, and dries slower than a plastic board and some webbing. If it doesn't have a plate then it isn't truly a BP/W. The Diverite transpac comes to mind. I don't consider it a BP/W but rather a back inflate BC with a modular design.

As for the brand, well that's a whole other discussion. I do like the small Diverite weight pockets for warm water diving but this past trip in Bonaire I used a SS plate (6 pounds) and didn't even need the weight pockets or a weight belt. This luckily works out perfectly for me in a 3mil but you may not be so lucky. Have fun with whatever you buy!

I have an OMS IQ-Pack with SS backplate and a 45# wing when traveling and it compacts to next to nothing. I usually take a bag dedicated to scuba gear and the harness, bp, and bladder take up a mininal amount of space. The bag would have to be slightly larger than a bag for fins. When I travel I take all my gear except my tanks (although I wish I could bring my 130s).

Now, when it comes to integrated weights, I have never tried the OMS no-sag weight pockets or any other brand. On the IQ-pack and other tec-diving harnesses, there are D-rings mounted on the main waist strap on each hip. The D-ring is held in place by a sliding weight retention clip. I replaced the sliding weight clip with a rubber covered 3# weight on each side (with the D-ring still strung through the webbing in the middle of the weight). Works like a charm and no weight belt. Before someone says "What are you thinking? You cant drop weight in an emergency!!!", let me add that it is only 6# total and I am slightly negative with 1500 psi and empty bcd wearing 6#. I am sure I can make it to the surface with 6# on. Also, before the flames, the argument regarding if an uncontrolled ascent is safer than a swimming ascent when loss of bcd is encountered is a topic that should be addressed in another thread. So, depending on how much weight you wear, this may be a viable option.

To summarize, I will never go back to a traditional BCD.

Good diving,

Carl the Cat

I just got back from Roatan and took my DR stainless steel BP/W (Venture wing) with weight belt, dive lights and jetfins in my carry-on with no troubles. My original BCD was much more bulky than the BP/W. As for pockets, get a pair of x-shorts and you'll be set as far as pockets go. Good luck.

I use a Hammerhead Aluminum plate with a Dive Rite Trek wing. Works great and folds very small and compact. Dive Rite also makes a Travel wing which is very compact.
Some of the Oxycheq single tank wings look like they might be nice to travel with.
I added the xs scuba weight pouches to my waist belt and it all works our very nicely.
I think the Hammerhead Aluminum is two pounds.

I have Dive Rite backplates, both alu and ss. The latter I use with rented alu tanks and lately the rebreather, the alu plate for travel and my steel tank. I have older models that require the single tank adapter, newer ones have slots for the cambands. Work great.

Also worthwhile is the Deep Sea Supply Kydex plate, very light weight with steel reinforcements. I've been to Tobin's company, the quality is first rate.

For a harness I have a continous (DIR style) one on the alu plate and one with a shoulder QC on the steel plate. Just makes it easier with a drysuit, and I probably get the Transplate harness to make it easier yet. The ss D-rings seem like the heaviest parts of the alu/harness setup. :wink:

I have two Oxycheq bladders, an oval 45 lbs for single tank and the 40 lbs horseshoe for the rebreather. I prefer a bit of extra lift at the surface when diving in the ocean and using a drysuit. The single tank has a very small footprint and dives like dream, the whole rig is very streamlined. This is also due to the not bladder not being inside a separate cordura cover.

Personally I prefer to have the weights separate from the rig and thus use a DUI Weight & Trim harness. Easy to move about, hangs off the rolling dive bag when moving gear, eaiser to don and doff separately etc.

Dive Rite and Zeagle have weight pouches that work with backplates, as do Oxycheq and Halcyon. So plenty to choose from there.

Below pictures of my Oxycheq/Dive Rite combo(s). Note how streamlined the 45 lbs oval bladder is compared to the 40 lbs horseshoe bladder. The supersturdy cover does add bulk.

They're © Stefan Besier 2006 of course. :wink:

This board is great!

Thanks so much for all the excellent suggestions. Many of these are products I was not aware of, and look well suited to my needs.

I will contact manufacturers to get actual weights of the different configurations, information that is oddly missing in many of the website descriptions.

What began my quest for the ultimate travel gear was a trip 2 Summers ago when I was returning to Bangkok from Manila and I was charged more in baggage overweight fees that I had saved by diving with my own gear instead of rental. <grumble>

Many small domestic flights (especially in SE Asia) these days only allow 15 kg of check-in baggage! If you are carrying your own dive gear that only leaves room for a pair of speedos if you are lucky. Dive gear alone can easily weigh more than that. And they won't let you board the plane wearing it!

In my current setup the SeaQuest Passport BC works very well for a jacket-style BC. It weighs between 5 and 6 lbs. and has it's own integrated mesh bag. I also have an Oceanic Titanium Delta 3 regulator that is half the weight of most regs. Sometimes I use an AirSource inflator instead of an Octo. Tusa Expert Zoom full foot fins are a wonderful combination of power-to-weight. Aeris Velocity Duos are pretty light for open heel fins. And of course a wrist computer instead of a console.

This is a continuing evolution for me, and being a bit of a gearhead, I enjoy the process as well as the results. I am hoping to move to a BP/W or a back-inflate BC if I can get it as light or lighter than the Passport.

Big thanks to those who posted! Now I just have to do some more research and make a decision. That's the hard part! Haha.

I welcome any other suggestions for any kind of lightweight gear from other members. Keep them coming!

Happy trails.....trails of bubbles that is!
Thomjinx

Oxycheq Travel B/P with 18# wing......That's what I'm using next time.

On my last trip I used an AUL BP with 30# Zeagle wing.

Reasions for switching..Zeagles over the last two years have griefed me on trips. This year a weight pocket became detached because the mounting "bolts" cracked. The year befor,with a different wing..the dump valves just about fell off.

Lastly...I sell Oxycheq.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom