Good Canon DSLR for UW and others @$2k-3k

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not so much “very powerful strobes” but strobe that has a wide angle of light distributed.

I do not agree. If you are shooting against the sun in shallow waters with a DSLR which it's impossible to speed up more than 1/250 sec or you have a couple of very powerfull strobes which allows you to close the diafragm or the sun will be "overbusted". This will not happend with a compact camera system which you can speed up untill 1/2000 or more due to the shutter system. This together with the smaller size of sensor will allow you to use less powerfull strobes, but the quality of image will be significantly lower

I do not agree. If you are shooting against the sun in shallow waters with a DSLR which it's impossible to speed up more than 1/250 sec or you have a couple of very powerfull strobes which allows you to close the diafragm or the sun will be "overbusted". This will not happend with a compact camera system which you can speed up untill 1/2000 or more due to the shutter system. This together with the smaller size of sensor will allow you to use less powerfull strobes, but the quality of image will be significantly lower
My SLR has a much faster shutter speed than 1/250 second and syncs correctly to strobe

My SLR has a much faster shutter speed than 1/250 second and syncs correctly to strobe
Which is your DSLR camera ? I am really curious about that. The maximum sync speed that I have afford with a DSLR has been 1/320 with my Canon 50D, a crop sensor camera. With my Canon 5D mkII (full frame) the maximum sync speed is 1/250. With de Nikon/Sony DSLR cameras is pretty much the same. My dive buddies with Nikon D7000, D500, Canon 7D mkII, 5D mkIII, 5DR have the same problem. I have or I have had strobes Inon Z240, Inon S2000, Sea&Sea YS110, YS120, D1, D2 Hartemberger 125, 250,500. Subtronic Mega, 160, 160proFusion. One of my dive buddies have lastly bought the Retra Pro strobes and we have used it in our last dive trip in the Canary islands
Actually the only way to afford a higher sync speed of 1/250 with a DSLR FF camera is with the very last Retra pro Strobes and the iTurtle flash trigger with optical fiber cables. This trigger in combination with the Retra pro strobes can emulate the HSS protocol used by the best land strobes of each brand. In fact those strobes have become a revolution in UW photography. The cost of this sync speed has been a considerable loss of power in HSS mode which is still to see if it is worth it. But may be I am wrong...

Which is your DSLR camera ? I am really curious about that. The maximum sync speed that I have afford with a DSLR has been 1/320 with my Canon 50D, a crop sensor camera. With my Canon 5D mkII (full frame) the maximum sync speed is 1/250. With de Nikon/Sony DSLR cameras is pretty much the same. My dive buddies with Nikon D7000, D500, Canon 7D mkII, 5D mkIII, 5DR have the same problem. I have or I have had strobes Inon Z240, Inon S2000, Sea&Sea YS110, YS120, D1, D2 Hartemberger 125, 250,500. Subtronic Mega, 160, 160proFusion. One of my dive buddies have lastly bought the Retra Pro strobes and we have used it in our last dive trip in the Canary islands
Actually the only way to afford a higher sync speed of 1/250 with a DSLR FF camera is with the very last Retra pro Strobes and the iTurtle flash trigger with optical fiber cables. This trigger in combination with the Retra pro strobes can emulate the HSS protocol used by the best land strobes of each brand. In fact those strobes have become a revolution in UW photography. The cost of this sync speed has been a considerable loss of power in HSS mode which is still to see if it is worth it. But may be I am wrong...
Canon SL1 ikelite 160 strobe hard wire sync cord

Canon SL1 ikelite 160 strobe hard wire sync cord
The maximum sync speed of your camera is 1/200. You have enought although they are fair because your strobes are very powerful, even big at the same time. Try to use a pair of Inon z240 in -10ft with the foreground at 40cm....

The maximum sync speed of your camera is 1/200. You have enought although they are fair because your strobes are very powerful, even big at the same time. Try to use a pair of Inon z240 in -10ft with the foreground at 40cm....
Shot at 1/ 400

Attachments

• 8A2293C0-EF40-4EFA-9DAE-60408FA9DFAD.jpeg
    8A2293C0-EF40-4EFA-9DAE-60408FA9DFAD.jpeg
    58.8 KB · Views: 118
Shot at 1/ 400
Can I see the exif ? Have you ever tried to 1/500 with strobes? What's the speed, shooting with strobes, when you start to see in the lower part of the picture a black band (the courtain) ?

I would call Backscatter.com. They are a wealth of information because they are diving photographer. As for a Canon setup in your budget look at The Ikelite SL3 set up. I have an SL 2 with in a similar set up, just add a second strobe and Canon 10-18 lens.

The 10-18 is at best a beginner lens, but it works for me. I would probably go with the canon 10-22, or Tokina 10-17 if I wanted to move up.

If you are not dead set on Canon (my wife has a lot of L-glass, so I am), there are many options out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom