Good destinations for OW checkout dives for 15yo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My 11 year old did her cert dives at Fantasy Island in Roatan. That went very well and we couldn't have been any happier with how we were handled and treated by the dive shop. They brought in an instructor just for her and I got to tag along on her dives without being charged for the air or the boat space that I used.
However the resort is only a three star, if you are used to luxury, it will be a bit lacking. I refer to it as a hunt camp for divers.
There is a decent house shore dive including a wreck, and a wall available to explore.
We have gone there for two years in a row now and would go back, but there is so much of the Caribbean left for us to explore.

If you want to stay in the US, you could consider Panama City Beach FL. There is a place called St. Andrews State park. It has a protected salt water area there called the pool which is shallow. Right next to the pool Is a jetty which protects the pool. You can go down to 60+ feet on the other side of the jetty if you want to.

In the states, I would suggest Key Largo - many shallow sites, good viz, warm water in the summer, normally not much current, and a variety of marine life. From observation, Horizon Divers has been good with teenagers.

Oops - missed the shore diving part.

are there other (western hemisphere) designations comparable to Bonaire, in terms of diving quality and especially ease/abundance of shore diving, combined with (reasonably) affordable resorts with, reputable on-site instructors doing OW checkout dives?
Honestly, there are a number of other sites that would be comparable in terms of diving quality, affordability, and competent instruction. But, when you add the 'especially ease/abundance of shore diving', the list gets very short. Although Curacao might come close, the shore diving is simply not as 'abundant'. Nice place, and as has been mentioned it is a little more developed so there is more to do on shore. But, the shore diving ease and abundance really is not comparable. Roatan has a lot going for it, but not the 'ease/abundance of shore diving' piece. Key Largo is a great destination for OW dives for certification - I have driven to FL several times with OW students to complete their certfication, because they didn't want to 'do' a quarry, or they wanted to complete their certificiation in December / January in warm water. But, again, the Keys don't offer the ease that Bonaire does.

I was in Ambergris Caye in June 2019 and didn't seen anyone shore diving. The sargassum seaweed rotting on the beaches probably scared off anyone who'd want to try! The leeward side of Ambergris (look up Secret Beach) didn't have sargassum but I didn't see anyone diving over there.

No.shore diving on either side of Ambergris Caye

My friends stayed at an airbnb/VRBO on Curacao and they dived right off the dock in back of their place. They rave about it.

I'm not sure when they will officially open, but Grand Cayman is fantastic for easy shore diving, with an easy step up to boat diving if wanted.

Lauderdale-by-the-Sea. Tons of flights to and from FLL. Lots of "mom and pop" hotels and motels (and Airb&b's), shore diving from Boca Raton to Hollywood, lots of dive shops, lots of dive boats if you want to do that, easy day trip to the keys, and if the weather turns, you can drive up to Blue Heron Bridge and dive that. Plus, if you want, dive 5 hours north and dive the springs, lots of beginner diving up there too. And, its in the USA, you can drink the water.

PC230197.JPG
While it's true that Bonaire has many more shore accessable dive sites, what it does not have is sandy white beaches with restaraunts and bars. Arrive in the am do a dive to the right, lay around have a light lunch, do a dive to the left. Have a beer or two and an early dinner.

Sunset at Porto Marie after one of those days

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom