Good Digital Camera with manual controls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kirgan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

I know this topic has come up a lot, but after reading through other threads, I still haven’t decided what camera to buy, so hence this thread.

I have been shopping around for my first underwater digital camera. I wanted to use the same camera I usually do above the water and just buy a housing for it - until I saw the cost of the housings. I have a Nikon D100, but the housing for it seems to cost 2-3 times more than the camera (2500 & up).

So, I started looking at other cameras. I am by no means an expert at photography, but I want a camera with manual settings, so I grow into it as I improve. I am looking for the following features: manual white balance control, manual aperture control, manual shutter control, the ability to use RAW format. I also would like a camera that is good for macro shots, have as large of a sensor (as possible & still be affordable) & good lense quality. And of course I am trying to get all of that at price below $700 and a camera that doesn't require a housing that is 2-3 times the cost of the camera. If that isn't possible, then I might just have to get some inexpensive Sea and Sea camera with housing and strobe for 600-800 dollars and then later on buy a housing for my D100.

Are there any other features you think I should be considering in a camera that I haven't mentioned? Please keep in mind I do want the ability for manual controls.

The cameras I have been looking at so far are:

Canon PowerShot Pro1 – I kind of wanted this one, but then I read reviews that said picture quality was great, good write times for RAW format, but also read some bad things about it, such as very slow focus time in low light levels. I have heard some people say this is fixed with a firmware upgrade and others say it isn’t any better with the upgrade.

Cannon PowerShot G6 – I haven’t heard any really bad negatives on this one. All in all, the reviews I have seen seem good, but nothing really outstanding like I have read with the other two.

Olympus C-8080 Wide - I have heard good things about this camera, but it supposedly writes very slowly (15 seconds) per shot using RAW format, so I am not sure I will like it.

Have any of you used these cameras and if so, would you please comment on them. Also, if you have tried other cameras that you would suggest based on what I am looking for, please do so.

Any feedback is appreciated.

--Mike

I haven't used it, but the things I hear about the G6 are great so that would influence my decision and give me a starting point.

Looks like you have done a lot of research...it's probably getting to the point where it's time to just bite the bullet and choose one! There is always going to be another choice out there :wink: Each diver is different and will have different ideas on what is "best" - if you can, lay hands on each one and see which one feels right to you.

Happy shopping!

You seem to have a good handle on features you want, and what is out there.

Unfortunately if you are used to a DSLR, a PnS is going to disappoint in many ways.

I opted for a smallish PnS because it did a lot of what I wanted, and compromise was the name of the game. I picked the S70 due to size, cost, RAW, manual control, and housing cost.

So you have a couple options. One is to pick your PnS of choice and go with that. Another is to go with something like the D70, and pickup a housing that runs $1000. Granted by the time you add a strobe, the price will go up. However there are some strobe options (like the Sunpak GFlash) that run under $200. Even if most discount these options, that does not make it a bad choice.

Another thing to consider is how many people actually make a living shooting UW. IMO it's the most limited professional photo path on earth. So if your shots are just for fun, and they likely are, then missing that once in a lifetime shot, while very dissapointing, is acceptable as this is NOT your profession.

I should add, that if you want a DSLR sized sensor, buy a DSLR as NONE Of the PnS options on the market have a sensor even 1/4 the size of the APS sized Nikon sensor for example.

Kirgan:
Olympus C-8080 Wide - I have heard good things about this camera, but it supposedly writes very slowly (15 seconds) per shot using RAW format, so I am not sure I will like it.

Mike,

I have only used the Oly 5050 and now the Oly8080 since about March this year and you can take a look at samples of what the camera can do in my gallery after March 2005.

If you are insistant in taking shots in RAW, then this camera is not for you. It is painfully slow. I shoot my pics in Super High Quality and I am happy with the quality for printing 8X10s.

I do not know the Canons but I would also consider the megapixels. The 8mp of the Oly8080 allow for musch more cropping. I went to the 8080 after using the Oly 5050 5mp camera and the extra pixles give me much more flexibility in manipulating the photo in the computer.

Just a few thoughts, I hope it helps with your decision.

Well, I have the Olympus C7070, which is somewhat smaller than the 8080. I wanted a camera with decent manual control and something that is at least 7mp. And also must fit Ikelite housing. Works well for me.. and it does allow me to grow into the hobby. Focus is sharp and in general no complaints (with the exception that the onboard strobe does not fire in supermacro mode). Would not want to use it in RAW or TIFF mode though. Takes too long to write.

Both Canons and Olys are good so it really depends on the type of housing you want and the price. Good luck with your hunt.

Thanks all for your feedback. I do tend to overdo the research sometimes. I do want RAW capabilities, so with your feedback the Oly cameras are slow with RAW writes as I have read, it looks like I will go with a Canon. If it wasn't for that one feature, I would probably choose the Oly C-8080. So, I think I am going to go with Canon G6. I will try e-bay first to keep the cost down. The housing prices for it seem to be acceptable to me.

Thanks again,

--Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom