Good dive shop to stay with in Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matthewyui

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hi!

I am travelling to Tulamben in April and wondering if anyone stayed with Bali Reef Divers before? They offered attractive rates and I'm wondering if the equipment/ dive master are good as I would like to take some nice macro pictures :)

Also apart from seraya, is there other locations that are good for macro nearby as well?

Thanks!

Obviously not the most experienced operation on Tulamben. Bali Reef Divers had a branch first located in Amed, I remember a few years ago paying them 8USD for a tankfill of Nx32 which was only 180 bars and analyzed NX29... when I went to see the manager it didn't seem to bother him... and now they're in Tulamben.

Some people would say it doesn't matter, others like me would rather recommend going with the operations that work with the best guides (ie. Liberty, Matahari, Puri Madha, or even free lance guides) who'll show you where the most interesting critters are.

Also apart from seraya, is there other locations that are good for macro nearby as well?
Aplenty... you could stay a week long diving for macro, each one can be dived at night for a different experience !
Batu Niti, Sidem1 and 2, Seraya deep and shallow, Melasti1 and 2, Pura Segara, Drop off, Liberty Slope, Pura Gerombong, etc.

Maybe it would be better to stay in Amed? More places to stay, to eat, and to dive for sure, especially for macro. You could go to Liberty wreck of course, but for macro there're much more beautiful places: Japanese Wreck, Lipah, Melasti and of course Jemeluk bay. Сoncerning dive shop, I like BLD, cheap price, air tank as low as $5, one of their shop is right on the Jemeluk beach. Not an advertisement - Welcome To Another World! , for good macro - find Rita. Hope to meet you there in April ;-)

Maybe it would be better to stay in Amed? More places to stay, to eat, and to dive for sure, especially for macro. You could go to Liberty wreck of course, but for macro there're much more beautiful places: Japanese Wreck, Lipah, Melasti and of course Jemeluk bay.
Kidding? Amed is really a par below Kubu/Tulamben/Seraya/BatuBelah areas for macro and to be honest good dive centres in Amed are scarce, they mostly cater for backpackers enjoying a fun dive or two with nemo the clownfish.
Again it will depend on OP's expectations, if he's really serious about his macro, he wouldn't dive Tulamben with a Amed guide. If it's only about finding a Harlequin shrimp, then anyone even a gringo guide may be able to find one.

Kidding? Amed is really a par below Kubu/Tulamben/Seraya/BatuBelah areas for macro and to be honest good dive centres in Amed are scarce, they mostly cater for backpackers enjoying a fun dive or two with nemo the clownfish.
Again it will depend on OP's expectations, if he's really serious about his macro, he wouldn't dive Tulamben with a Amed guide. If it's only about finding a Harlequin shrimp, then anyone even a gringo guide may be able to find one.

Why kidding? It's just my humble opinion. Frankly, all dive sites are easy accessible from Amed (and most of them closer to Amed than to Tulamben, Melasti for example) and infrastructure there is much better.

I agree with you about their focusing on introduction dives (who don't do this in industry these days?), but you still could find good guide. That's what was my post above about.

Besides, if you are such a pro, why should you even bother about guide? ;-) Peace!

Why kidding? It's just my humble opinion.
When you say "more places for macro, for sure" this isn't your humble opinion anymore. It appears to me like a (wrong) statement.
btw, you also mix up Melasti Tulamben (one of the few places in the world to spot Doto Greenamyeri with Melasti Amed (quite mundane macro spot in Amed). The interesting Melasti is 5 minutes drive from Tulamben center.

Besides, if you are such a pro, why should you even bother about guide?
Something you might learn if you involve seriously into macrophotography : all photographers need a spotter. The more you have seen, the more qualified and experienced n a specific spot your spotter needs to be.

A spotter knows where the rarest animals dwell on their reef while the young gringo instructors, arrived in Bali not even 1 or 2 years ago, will try uselessly to teach you life or things you don't bother anymore with... But well, after a while life will also teach them some lessons

I am also looking into dive operators in Bali.

Not looking for classes or big crowds of students on the same boat with certified divers.

Any recommendations?

The two times our group went to Wakatobi, many of the group stayed for a few days beforehand at Scuba Seraya. Very positive comments. We choose Ubud for a different experience prior to Wakatobi, but folks whose opinion I trust did speak highly of Scuba Seraya.

Rob

I am also looking into dive operators in Bali.

Not looking for classes or big crowds of students on the same boat with certified divers.

Any recommendations?
Depends which itinerary you select in Bali : where do you want to dive. Bali is not Bonaire, you can't stay at one place and dive all around the island. Some operators depart from Sanur everyday but then you'd spend more time driving than diving, I don't recommend that.

I have stayed many times in Bali and going back every year, There are only 3 diving areas I consider worth diving :
- Tulamben, which is mainly for macro/muck diving but also for the wreck. Best all around operator IMO Liberty dive resort (Free nitrox and private guide), Scuba Seraya is OK but expensive and a bit away, if you're looking for comfortable and qualified then Villa Markisa is even better.
- Nusa Penida/Nusa Lembongan for blue water, corals and big fish (Manta, Mola mola, ...) tha can be dived with a Lembongan dive center (Twofish, Big Fish, LDC) or from Padang Bai
- Padang Bai, a combination of muck and drift coral/fish dives, you can also dive Nusa Penida from there. Best operator Gekodive , you can lodge at Puri Rai resort, good QPR.

If you want to avoid backpackers on their OW class, stay away from Amed.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of using Liberty Divers which offer nitrox. I'll need nitrox after the long travel! Puri Madha might be crowded with divers and passerby near the pool area if we want to chill and take a nap at poolside.
I'm hoping to dive on the 2nd day once I arrive. I'm diving the Tulamben area at 6 or 6:30am, 8am, 10am,5pm, and 7pm. On our 3rd day, I'm thinking of doing another sunrise dive than doing either the boat dives or shore dive the Boga Wreck and Kabu Reef.
On our 4th day traveling to Candidasa. I'm in the fence of using Bali Bubbles or Zen Divers. Zen offer free nitrox and is next door to my hotel. While Bali Bubbles did my SSI Advanced course. I'm thinking of doing at least 5 days of diving before catching our Liveboard to Komodo. So with all the dives that I'm planning I should be able to see at least one Mola Mola and a Manta Ray in the month of October! Happy and safe diving everyone!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom