Good Dive Sites in Perhentian, Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hi guys,

back from perhentian already... but the viz was a bit dissapointing, except for the last day i was there, and we did a shallow dive at shark point/flora bay area. Viz was good, and lots of nudibranches as well. I also did the Sea Temple and Seabelle first few days I was there, but the currents are a bit strong and viz was like swimming in a miso soup... I'll be going again on the 19th of April, for another few days, as I felt it wasn't enough the last time around...

as for the boats, there are three daily times, as seok said, 8am, 12 noon and 4pm... let us know about the diving conditions once you get back please, and thanks for all the ideas about perhentian!

hi all.
sorry to hear bout the crap viz sushi. I heard it was quite good few days ago tho, 10-15m at least. Bad timing for you i guess.

I'm leaving to perhentian island tomorrow. Will do my DM+IDC there for 2 months. EXCITING!

So I'll see you soon maxteo. have fun diving everyone!

YaY :)

Just got my AOW with Flora last week. Viz was VERY good from 22nd to 24th.. 25th - 27th was bad. prob like 2-3mtrs..

Was in viet wreck, viz was like less than 2 mtrs.. :( didn't see much.

One of the days we saw a school of bumpheads.. 8 big ones in D'lagoon.... =)

Hi...

I saw your reply while i was viewing the messages in thie forum. It appears you have spent some time in perhentian besar.

I am planning a trip there in May and I was wondering if you might be able to provide me with some guidance as to which might be the better Dive operators in perhentian? I am planning to take my AOW course. I have a couple of friends who had some bad experience in Redang and Perhentian (that was years ago though).

Thank you. Regards.
Julian

wandernsoul:
Two sites that come to mind are Shark Point and Twin Rocks. I spent April and May on Besar last year, working with the Marine Parks folks, doing underwater surveys in the entire area. Of course right now the names of places don't come to mind! I'll have to look for my log book..... I actually found the viz to be rather bad then, like diving in a snowstorm on many dives, but hopefully it will be better for you.
Where will you be staying? Kecil or Besar? And diving with? All the DM's that I dealt with were very knowledgeable about the sites and their marine biology is great as well.

Hi jules_13,

If you are planning to go in may I would suggest U avoid the may day weekend as there would be a lot of people flocking to the island.
For dive operators, i would suggest Flora bay divers in pulau perhentian besar.
But then again, what u can do is just take a walk along the stretch of beach and just talk to any of the dive operator. There are a couple along that stretch.
U should be comfortable and confident in their setup before comitting your money to the AOW course.
I took my advance with Flora bay and have been with them eversince.

regards
wafa

Sugar wreck was nice.. but beware of the strong currents, that could really sweep you away..

Hi, I am going to the perhentian islands to dive n july and would love to get some advice on dive operators places to stay etc... my brother lives in KL ...i am traveling from NY

thanks !!

sushi:
Hi guys,

I'll be going to the Perhentian Islands in a few weeks time, and would like to get some ideas as where the better divesites are at the place. I'd love to get specific details as well e.g. how the currents are, what flora and fauna can be found and that kind of thing for this time of the year from those with the chance to have experienced Perhentian. Thanks!

Hi,

we are going to perhentian islands in early july to dive for about 3-4 days... we are bringing our kids 14 and 12 yrs old ... 14 yr old dives ...12 yr old may do discover scuba. I would love some advice on lodging and dive operators ... thanks a bunch

YCW:
Been to most of the east coast islands off Malaysia, and still love Perhentian the most. Have been going back there every year for at least once for the past 5 years ! Some may argue the diving at Perhentian is not that great, compare to perhaps Pulau Tenggol or Redang, but the quietness and serenity of the islands more than make up for that. As for the diving, I agree with others that Temple of the Sea (Tokong Laut) and Tiger Rocks are the best sites around that area. But all the other dive sites are quite decent as well. Most of the dive sites have only very little or no current to due with. Only occassionally there will be some mild current at the above 2 sites but managable.

Have fun.

Hi cybertia,

I'm planning to go to Perhentian this July also. Around 3rd to 5th or 6th. We will stay at flora bay. As i'm bringing 5 other non-diver, as i hope they will try the discover scuba at least. As i heard a good repo on flora bay, so i will try it. Last year i was with Sea Horse at Perhentian Besar. Hope you have a blast and hope to see you there!

Any helpful hints about staying on Perhentian Besar? Never been and we have an 11 yr old and 14 yr old ... they are pretty robust kids but this will be their first time out of the country. I have read mostly great things about the island but recently read some stuff about not leaving stuff in your room or you take a chance of being robbed? This is just one posting I saw but just wondering what your experience has been... where did you stay? any suggestions??? we have a pretty open budget ... probably want to stay somewhere with hot water and electricity 24hrs a day since we'll have the kids with us ... also, have you ever dived Redang? Not sure if we would be better off there with the kids ... thanks for your thoughts :)

anemone:
Hi cybertia,

I'm planning to go to Perhentian this July also. Around 3rd to 5th or 6th. We will stay at flora bay. As i'm bringing 5 other non-diver, as i hope they will try the discover scuba at least. As i heard a good repo on flora bay, so i will try it. Last year i was with Sea Horse at Perhentian Besar. Hope you have a blast and hope to see you there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom