Good diving for beginners in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just returned from a Cozumel trip. If you are a new diver I highly recommend Dive with Martin. The divemasters are great at working with new divers. They give you a great dive plan, give you time to play with your buoyancy at the beginning of each dive, and keep everyone together as a small group. The boats are small and fast and dive with no more than 6 divers. It is like having a private DM. Prepare to be amazed!

Thanks for the info, I am also going to Dive Cozumel for the first time, and my GF is doing her checkout dive there. I am considering Dive with Martin, I guess my only reservation is being pared up with more experienced divers and messing them up. When I got certified I was on a boat but they gave me an instructor all to myself so it was just him and I. If I can I would pay for that service again :D

I dove in Cozumel with DWM after my fourth dive.

They were pretty good. DWM took us to a beginner site to assess our ability, Palancar and Paraiso. We dropped down off the boat onto a sandy area where we could sit on the bottom, collect ourselves, adjust our BC's/buoyancy and then as a group we started going through the reef.

If you feel that your buoyancy is not stable and you are not "floating", remember to add a bit of air to your BC once you get to depth and make sure to stay off the reef. Maybe at least 6 feet off the reef if you feel that your buoyancy is not stable or you keep sinking. For beginners, its a good idea to stay a bit shallower than your DM and group, your air will last longer that way.

The good thing about DWM is that they have multiple boats and will divide groups by experience/ability. On the first dive I saw a newbie (a really nice guy) with a camera trampling the reef. The next day, he went on a different boat while we went to faster current sites Barracuda and San Juan.

On this trip, my brother is just starting to dive, so we'll be diving shallow sites on most of our dives. There's more marine life to see, more colors and warmer water.

No matter who you choose, I'm sure you'll have a great time.

-nt

We just got home from Cozumel last night. We did our diving through Dive Paradise. We finished our open water certification and then did a couple dives. I highly reccomend a fast boat , maximum of 6 people + DM.

Our favorite dives were Palancar Gardens & Cedar Pass.

Back
Top Bottom