Good Fish Book?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bacchus

Reaction score
Trying to identify a lot of the fish in my photos and I could really use a good comprehensive book. Any ideas?

Also, anyone know what this little guy is?

fcea3080.jpg

Where did you see this fish? Caribbean, Red Sea, Pacific?

What type of habitat?

Any observed behaviours?

All these will help us ID the critter.

Oh, and Paul Humann i(and Ned DeLoach) are #1 for IDs!

~SubMariner~

As far as the fish:

Pic was taken in Manihi French Polyesia
The fish certainly wasn't shy. HE would move from coral to coral and just sit on it and pose. Maybe 4 inches long.

It looks like some sort of Hawkfish. They way he 'sits' on his pectoral fins makes me think so.

Check out www.fishbase.org for worlwide fish ID.

Halfspotted hawkfish, also known as Ornate hawkfish or Whitespot hawkfish, properly Paracirrhites hemistictus. If you look it up on Fishbase, as Dee suggests, click the photo to see the light-coloured variant.

For Indo-Pacific fish, look for books by Gerry (or Gerald) Allen.

Hope that helps,

Zept

I agree with Zept on all fronts. The fish seems like an Ornate Hawkfish. As far as fish guides are concerned, I too like the Gerry Allen guides for the Indo-Pacific. I have "Marine Fishes of Tropical Australia and South-East Asia" (ISBN 0-7309-8363-3) which has very good "painted" illustrations. I also have seen and like his "Indo-Pacific Coral Reef Field Guide" which features both fish and other reef organisms. If you are having trouble locating these guides locally, these books and others are available at the "Asian Diver" magazine mailshop. I think you can access it from their main website at www.asiandiver.com

I hope this helps.

Both Zept, and Reefwreck seem to be right. I'd also like to mention that in addition to Gerry Allen and Paul Humann, Helmut Debelius and Rudie H. Kuiter have put out some incredible books as well. And I'd also like to add that a great source for Fish ID books is www.seachallengers.com . David Behrens in addition to having a great selection of books is also an author himself. I have ordered books from him in the past and am just relaying as a satisfied customer!

Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom