Good for Silicone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couv

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
On another board, in a galaxy far away, someone asked if silicone o-rings could be lubricated with Chrisco, I thought the answer was no as I thought it contained silicone and would cause swelling. Apparently that is not the case, but could you clarify the point for us. Most of us still have brandX and -71 so if you can give both general and specific info, that would be great.

1.Do O2 safe greases contain silicone?
2.Is it safe for continued use on silicone o-rings (I have a camera case I would prefer to stay waterproof :)
3.Are there any seal applications you would NOT recommend -71?

Thank you,

c

Couv,

Thank you for your questions. I’m assuming what you are referring to as Chrisco is really Crisco. I’ve never thought of using Crisco for any o-rings, silicone or other types. The last time I saw Crisco being used is watching my wife make pie dough. Seriously, I don’t think it would last, not to mention that if your camera was left in the sun the Crisco would melt and run away, possibly all over the camera. By the way Crisco is made of a vegetable shortening.
If your are referring to ChristoLube, since there are many different types they manufacture I will refrain from commenting further.
As to the your other questions,
1. Do 02 safe greases contain silicone? No they do not contain any hydrocarbons or silicon which is a hydrocarbon.
2. Tribolube-71 or Tribolube-66 is safe to use on silicone o-rings.
3. Both Tribolube-71 and Tribolube-66 are safe to use on all o-ring materials that we are aware of being manufactured today.
I hope this answers your questions and thank you for your interest.

Thank you David,

I apologize for the use of the word Chrisco....I should have put a smiley or just said ChristoLube. Too often we write something we think might be clever and it turns out to be confusing rather than amusing.

c

Couv,
That's ok I have heard of crazy things going into dive gear in the past six years(You don't even want to know)! So when you said chrisco It didn't phase me. here is some information I have shared on several other boards hope it helps.

I don't know how many of you out there are using cameras or video housings but I wanted to post this reply to a PM I received recently.

Tribolube 71 Is safe to use on all elastomers ,plastic seals, gaskets, and O-rings, whatever the material is made of. Aquatica and Amphibico have been using Christolube MCG111 for over five years. It will not absorb into the o-ring. The o-ring will not swell like it will with silicone grease either. We are proud to announce that they will both be switching to Tribolube 71 when their supply runs out. We have small 5 gram packets that have put together for this type of application. Please follow the link below to one of our distributors to take a look. Feel free to email me if you have any questions that this reply does not address or answer.

As Beano has shared in other posts you know how to get in touch with our distributors.

Thanks,

David Lodwick
david@aerospacelubricants.com

Last edited:
On a similar sort of question, will the Ko2 degreaser work on silicone as well? I have to load a ton of grease in inflator to prevent corrosion and it is hard to get that stuff off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom