Good GoPro knock off?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stilldivin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
There is a large amount of these cameras out know. I've used a Sunpak 4K action cam and been mostly happy with it but the buttons don't hold up well and I've had a case leak. Any other ones out there with a better case?

akaso is cheap and hasnt caused my wife any issues. $65 got the camera, housing and about 20 mounts

I've used a Yi action cam and 3rd party case without issues.

I have an SJCam 5000. Only problem on knock offs is finding a red filter

Apeman one on Amazon that goes down to 40m/130ft with housing. About $70. Works pretty well.

Thanks for all your responses. Akasco is rated well I see. About the Yi action cam; where did you get the third party case? I've seen some of these with a switchable red filter built in. As most of you know, red filters are only used in deep tropical water. I dive in Monterey, Ca.

I bought the Yi action cam on Amazon, then reviewed the available housing also on Amazon. Picked one with reviews that specifically reported positive SCUBA or diving experience. The one issue I saw was that the camera ran warm and would start to fog up a little if I didn't put anything in the case to absorb moisture. The model I have is quite a few years old now, and I believe the newer ones are much improved. I initially bought it for topside video and for the kids to be able to use it while snorkeling and diving. For $85 I was much happier with them potentially dropping or losing that than a GoPro! I've also mounted it on my motorbike for an MSTA weekend ride, capture a deer running into the side of the rider in front of me!! Overall I would buy it again.

This is the one I have.

Right now I'd compare the Akaso on the Yi and pick one of them. That Akaso looks very promising!

One other bit of advice - dont pay extra for wifi... that way of transferring from cam to phone is SLOW SLOW SLOW. I always pull the card and use an adapter and a PC.

Apeman one on Amazon that goes down to 40m/130ft with housing. About $70. Works pretty well.
We also have the 40m/130ft Apeman from Amazon (the Apeman cameras have lots of great reviews on Amazon). I have been pretty happy with it, especially for the price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom