Good Housing with fair camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DomaNitrogen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey;

Well i never owned a UW camera and fairly new; So i am still learning. SO i was thinking of a good Housing and a fairly good camera to play around and learn.. ANd when i get the hang of things i will buy a good camera. But the idea is i need a good housing that could be used with different types of camera i dont know if that is possilbe or not.

Thank u in advance

Doma I recently just jumped into UW photgraphy, well photography on a whole really. I went with an Olympus Stylus 600 and an Olympus housing. It is very easy and extremely intuitive, you would not even need to read the manual to start taking decent shots. This camera was built with people like you and me in mind, it is perfect for the people that need a basic and easy setup to get our swerve on.

426Scuba:
You can make your own housing and adapt as needed.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=101940
That's for a video camera, the camera gets turned on and goes inside, there's no way to to do anything UW - need to have a way to push at least one button to take a picture, much more complicated...

Most housings are particular to a single camera or at best a very few very similar ones in a line. I doubt you'll find any housing that will work on a "fairly good" camera, and later on a better one. I'd either look for something you can grow with for awhile, or plan on selling the whole thing later to upgrade. (Note that the housing is often more expensive than the camera, so if you're only trying to cut the cost in the short term by getting less of a camera you may be surprised.)

DomaNitrogen:
Hey;

Well i never owned a UW camera and fairly new; So i am still learning. SO i was thinking of a good Housing and a fairly good camera to play around and learn.. ANd when i get the hang of things i will buy a good camera. But the idea is i need a good housing that could be used with different types of camera i dont know if that is possilbe or not.

Thank u in advance

Checkout Undersea Housings, www.usvh.com. You could buy a cheap used camcorder, but re-use the housing after you upgrade to a new and better camcorder, just like you are planning.

Damselfish:
That's for a video camera, the camera gets turned on and goes inside, there's no way to to do anything UW - need to have a way to push at least one button to take a picture, much more complicated...

I thought he was talking about a video camera because this is the videography forum. And yes you can control a camera with manual controls Ikelite sells them. Its not that complicated just drill a hole and insert the fitting. http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/control_parts.html

ah, I didn't notice the subforum and they never used the word video.

Thanks guys;

I meant a videoCam; nd thanx for the info

CHeers

Check out TopDawg.com They are modifed L&M stingray housings and if you get the big one, you can squeeze a small HiDef Sony in later. BTW do you really want to buy two cameras? Why not get what you want the first time? Do you already have access to a cheap camera with a Lanc port?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom