good knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

segraves1

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking to get a knife and need suggestions. Something in the $50-$100 range. I do not like folding knives (prefer a sheathed knife) and it will need to be something I can put on the webbing of my BP/Wing setup. No "toy knives" but not looking for a mechete either, just something big enough to get a good grip on and cut whatever I might need to. I don't mind having to wipe down stainless with oil after diving, provided it gets me a better knife for the cost (again...trying to stay under $100).

Thanks,
Chris

Not exactly in your price range, but this will work. Or you could try Tobin. Either one will work & I have both.

Yeah I have read about people using steak knives but I would rather have a little "tougher" knife. Steak knives work for eating but I would feel better with some more steel (mass) in the blade to keep it from bending/flexing/breaking.

Hi- Here is the picture of the oceanic knife.

Attachments

• <untitled>.jpg
    <untitled>.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 200
Green river is the best dive knife made. Cheap and cuts anything.
Hope this helps.

Link?

Yeah I have read about people using steak knives but I would rather have a little "tougher" knife. Steak knives work for eating :rofl3: but I would feel better with some more steel (mass) in the blade to keep it from bending/flexing/breaking.

I use these knives in ocean diving, and they don't flex or bend (or break for that matter) because of the short nature of the blade. The biggest problem, really is that they do seem to rust for some that don't rinse their gear or even for some that do. Not a huge deal but a small drawback. Of course, I am not fighting sharks or cutting 1/2 inch cable either. :D I do cut A LOT of fishing line, occasional small diameter rope, and I do occasionally split a sacrificial sea urchin to lure curious and hungry fish in. Top side, I have gotten odd looks for the "broken steak knife" but, eh, it works for me. It is definitely not the manly, massive, Sea Hunt dive knife so commonly seen on the go-getter diver.

This knife is simple and looks effective! I don't care for the sheath but I could make one of those. The larger handle really appeals to me and I like the mid length blunt tip as well. Thanks for the link.

Kind regards to all and good luck.
Thomas

segraves1, I use a cheapy, if I drop it and it isn't on a lanyard...I won't get silly bustin my butt to retrieve it. Avoid putting myself into a compromising situation...over a knife. Another option is EMS shears, they do pretty well in the cutting dept. Just a suggestion from what I've experienced. Good luck! Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom