good knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I keep reading about people having EMT Shears. Are these "different kinds" or do I just go type in EMT Shears in Google and buy whichever pair comes up?

I keep reading about people having EMT Shears. Are these "different kinds" or do I just go type in EMT Shears in Google and buy whichever pair comes up?

You get a choice of color for the grip (black, red, neon yellow, neon green, blue). And if you were to really want to be funky, get the Dive Rite one. It comes with a gorgeous red sheath and titanium nitride coated blades. Of course it costs $30 as opposed to $10 for the regular kind.

You get a choice of color for the grip (black, red, neon yellow, neon green, blue). And if you were to really want to be funky, get the Dive Rite one. It comes with a gorgeous red sheath and titanium nitride coated blades. Of course it costs $30 as opposed to $10 for the regular kind.

really...cooool.....well at least I have options..... :rofl3:

I know a lot of people who love the shears. Any sharp knife will cut. Personally, my dive knife is as cheap as they come. That way, when I drop it, I will be less likely to swim after it.

I use Halcyon Titanium knives on both my recreational and technical configurations. The are small, sharp (three slices to cut clear through a 2" rope) and they don't rust or lost their edge over time. The sheath is secure also...and fits conveniently onto a webbing waist strap.

Underwater Explorers

Drysuit_Seaskin_Halcyon_Knife2.jpg

I just got a Smith & Wesson "aquanaut"

it does all I need it to, it is sharp, inexpensive, has straps or clips to attach it.

http://unrealfind.amazonwebstore.com/B000FXXU5E/M/B000FXXU5E.htm

Here is what I ended up with. I came across one today in my local dive shop and really like the way it feels, disassembles, and it's relatively inexpensive (~$30 on sale). I plan to make a sheath out of 2" webbing folded and stitched like I have seen other divers do. I looked at numerous "BC knives" but they just felt too small for my hand (though I did find a nice little BC knife that I might get as a "backup"). For my personal comfort (what I feel I can use effectively), I wanted something with a large enough handle that I could grip fully and I found most BC knives had too small of a handle (both diameter and length). The blade length feels about optimum (perhaps a tad longer than NEEDED) and the overall package just felt right.

update:

As much as I like this knife, the stupid "finger grips" really ticked me off (actually hurt when using the knife). Because they are at that "one size fits all" spacing, they don't fit my hands. Easy solution, grind them off. 10mins with the grinder and some sand paper, wala, smooth/flat grip that is comfortable. Now I really do like this knife.

If I could change one thing, I would make the handle a bit shorter as it has about 2 fingers extra space/length than I need. Oh well, can't complain too much. It's light weight, solid, and cuts through rope/cord with one "slice". I'm happy :)

Attachments

• IMG_0294.jpg
    IMG_0294.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0296.jpg
    IMG_0296.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 416XH8Z1KKL.jpg
    416XH8Z1KKL.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
I came into this thread a little late as I see the OP has already purchased a knife but since shears were mentioned, I've been diving w/ an XS Fogcutter for years and love it, best of both worlds.

XSS0002-2T.jpg

I came into this thread a little late as I see the OP has already purchased a knife but since shears were mentioned, I've been diving w/ an XS Fogcutter for years and love it, best of both worlds.

XSS0002-2T.jpg

thats a neat little piece....I'm still planning to get a small backup knife some time so I'll look at that as well. thanks :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom