Good Lunch spots near the marina?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

horn34

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for some lunch options besides a packed lunch or the same surface interval spot everyday. We'll have a car at the marina so anything within reasonable driving distance.

There's not a lot down there by the marina. If you head south out of the marina, the money bar is a few minutes away, otherwise it's head back into town and parking issues maybe. You can always ask the boat what the plan is for the afternoon trip and have them drop you at some spot like Playa Palancar or the Money Bar and they could pick you back up. I'm not familar with all the restraunts in town - I'm always just looking for a burger.....

This probably sounds really dumb, but where's the marina? Are you talking about just South of the ferry dock?

If so, Avenida 5 heading North has Burritos Gorditos (at Calle 2 N?), Crazy King Burritos (at Calle 4 N?), and La Candela (at Calle 6 N). These are three places I eat at regularly. Both burrito places are known for having the "best burrito in the world" so you may have to decide for yourself. Be advised that none of them are open on Sunday and La Candela closes at 5:00. I also eat at Palmeras (right across from ferry dock) occasionally and they aren't bad but might take a little longer if time is short.

This probably sounds really dumb, but where's the marina? Are you talking about just South of the ferry dock?

If so, Avenida 5 heading North has Burritos Gorditos (at Calle 2 N?), Crazy King Burritos (at Calle 4 N?), and La Candela (at Calle 6 N). These are three places I eat at regularly. Both burrito places are known for having the "best burrito in the world" so you may have to decide for yourself. Be advised that none of them are open on Sunday and La Candela closes at 5:00. I also eat at Palmeras (right across from ferry dock) occasionally and they aren't bad but might take a little longer if time is short.

The marina is south of the south cruise ship pier - if you're out on the water, the marina is just left of El Presidente. It seems like it'd take us 15 minutes to get to the marina from the area you're talking about - by Aldora, the hospital and 3P's?? Your talking more down by the ferry pier I think.

You can certainly drive back into town there but you need a parking plan during the day, parking at the Mega or down from Hooters is about it it seems. Drive, walk, eat then drive again would be tight for between am and pm dives - I guess that's why I suggest asking to have the boat drop you somewhere and pick you back up there.

As ChuckP mentioned, being dropped off for lunch is the way to do it if you're doing 4 tank days. If your second dive is south of Playa Paradise, PP gives you the most lunch time. If you're north of there, the Money Bar will be easiest for the boat but will give you a little less time. They probably won't want to backtrack to Paradise. In either case, you'll have plenty of time for lunch.

You might be able to swing something close to the marina by car, but I think even if you stayed close, it would be tight. Not too far from the marina, heading north, you'll find Ernesto's Fajita Factory, Paprika and Casa del Mar, who I believe allows non-guests to dine at their restaurant. CDM is just north of that south cruise ship pier where the marina is located.

The turn around at the marina isn't very long. Ask 3Ps. They may even have other suggestions for a drop off besides Paradise and the Money Bar. Also as ChuckP suggested, it'll depend on the afternoon plan.

Also, I've not been to the new marina yet (it's essentially where the old marina is/was), but once upon a time you could get food at the marina. There wasn't really a restaurant, but kind of a little convenience store and I think they had some hot food. Again, 3Ps will know the options.

@drrich2 just did this. He should have a good idea of the best options.

The marina is south of the south cruise ship pier - if you're out on the water, the marina is just left of El Presidente. It seems like it'd take us 15 minutes to get to the marina from the area you're talking about - by Aldora, the hospital and 3P's?? Your talking more down by the ferry pier I think.

You can certainly drive back into town there but you need a parking plan during the day, parking at the Mega or down from Hooters is about it it seems. Drive, walk, eat then drive again would be tight for between am and pm dives - I guess that's why I suggest asking to have the boat drop you somewhere and pick you back up there.

OK, now I know where it is :) In all the time I've spent on the island nobody ever mentioned "the marina." One dive op I dove with (last week) stopped at some place or other that is a beach club and there was a taco truck there. I only wish I knew the name of the place we stopped for our SI. When I dove with Blue XT Sea last year we stopped at the same place on one of the trips but I don't recall seeing the taco truck. Maybe you could suggest spending the SI at the "beach club." They should know which place serves lunch.

The lack of parking is one reason we take taxis instead of renting a car. It's about 95 pesos from the South cruise ship dock to Centro. Unless it's Sunday morning it should only take a minute or two to get a taxi, and maybe even less if you look like a gringo.

BTW, I've yet to be on a dive boat that didn't have snacks between dives. It's usually enough for me to make it until I can get a real lunch, but that would be a two-tank dive situation.

Casa del Mar is a reasonable bet. I think there is usually parking available, its not too far, food is ok but you probably don't wan't anything too major in an hour-ish surface interval.

The blue taco truck on the road to the right at the International Pier/Royal Village. Excellent tacos and tortas! There are other restaurants at Royal Village and the other shopping center.
That’s going to be about as close as it gets.

Last time I walked it the distance from the Puerto Maya traffic light to the Marina Fonatur boat ramp is 1 mile. If walking its 20 minutes each way.

Back
Top Bottom