gopro 3 vs 4 vs 5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fish80

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello guys,

so, I was happy and chappy with my old gopro3 black but it got stolen, including the LCD backback, filter etc... what shall I do?

- buy a used 3 or 3+ or get the 4 or even the 5?

I am inclined to save money, so I would upgrate only if it is really worth the cost... not caring about pictures, only videos (I have a camera for pictures)... also not doing any 4K, my PC won't like it anyway :) ... what is your experience with 4 and 5? I understood some of the models work with touchpad so are useless underwater? What do you recommend?

Thanks a million!

I would get a 4 over 3. Don't know about 5

Thanks! Why the 4? What's better than the 3? And gray right? The one with the LCD backback...

I went 2 to 4! I've been happy with my 4 but am unable to buy a replacement dive housing as it's discontinued, perhaps it's best to go with a 5 so you can still order accessories?

All of them are good underwater, the touch screen is not needed for use underwater as the buttons still work.

There are also a LOT of 3rd party cases etc for the 3, 3+ and 4.

If you want genuine 4K video, I would go for a 5. If not, you can get some good deals on eBay etc from people upgrading.

I haven't done side by side comparisons so this is just offhand. I use a Hero4 Silver.

If you are truly happy with the 3 then you can just replace the 3. But you are getting pretty far behind the curve and accessories will get harder to find. And where people used to be impressed by the quality of your video, they will be recognizing it as yesterday's quality. I could never be happy being so far behind.

The 4 and 5 are very similar in quality as I think they use the same sensor. The 5 supports higher framerates at higher resolutions. The 5 has image stabilization although it's software based. The 5 requires a separate housing (not included) for underwater > 30' or so while the standard housing forthe 4 is good to recreational depths.

In a few months the 6 will be out so if you can wait you might take a look at that. In any event, prices for older models across the board will likely drop a bit. I doubt the 6 will have what I want - hardware image stabilization, and bigger and better sensors to eliminate "rolling shutter".

I got the GoPro 5 a few months ago. I haven't taken it in the water yet, but I did do a test video and editing. WOW WOW WOW. My old GoPro2 was great, but this one is amazing at low light...which we all know is the primary drawback underwater. Not only is it clear as a bell, it also took a dark shady hike and made it look crisp and in focus the whole way, lightened up all the really dark areas...all automatically.

Here is my little test:

robin

thanks guys! I got a 4 silver at the end, I will post something soon :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom