GoPro 5 Black - videos from Cozumel last week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
HI everyone!

I upgraded (from the Hero2) to the GoPro 5 Black this year and these are my first videos with it. I am using only the Polar red snap on filter.
I have been shooting underwater videos for 12 years, but have downsized to GoPro for compact travel options. Let me say I LOVE this thing. Really so much easier to use underwater than all the other versions. And the built in back screen displays all you info large enough my old eyes can read it. No more wondering if it is recording or not. So nice!

shore dive at ScubaClubCozumel, so depth 10-25'
the video is straight out of camera, only one clip was white balanced post dive (the one of the eel under ledge to sharpen). I am really VERY impressed with the color and clarity of the footage.

I will be posting more videos...just thought you might like to see a first sample.
The rest of videos will be down on the Cozumel Forum with my trip report, or go directly to my Vimeo to see.

feel free to ask any questions!
robin

You were using GoPro red filter?
What kind of mount?
Remember anything about settings?
I’m new to GP5 and taking mine to Cayman in 3 wks

Awesome video. Cozumel is my favorite dive destination.

what settings were you recording in? also curious on tbe format you used to upload it thanks

Yes, I use a red filter, polar pro that mounts on underwater. Works good for me.

Settings.... 1080 res, FPS 60, Fov LINR. I find that the LINR setting keeps it from getting that blur around edges and the fisheye look.

My mount.... I bought a small tray and arm from Backscatter, then put a d-ring clip on it so I can hook it to my BC when getting out of water, or when it is turned off. I also have a lanyard on it for my wrist for shooting time. I'm not going to lose it.

Really happy with it, and the battery life is fantastic. Haven't run out of battery underwater yet. I do turn on and off while underwater, or put in Pause mode during a dive, to save on battery life. I don't let it run non-stop like some people do. That makes editing a nightmare IMHO. I like have 2-3 dozen clips per dive to edit.

editing.... I use Pinnacle software, been using it for video for about 10 yrs and just can't bring myself to change. Currently using version 10, I think.

Yes, I use a red filter, polar pro that mounts on underwater. Works good for me.

Settings.... 1080 res, FPS 60, Fov LINR. I find that the LINR setting keeps it from getting that blur around edges and the fisheye look.

My mount.... I bought a small tray and arm from Backscatter, then put a d-ring clip on it so I can hook it to my BC when getting out of water, or when it is turned off. I also have a lanyard on it for my wrist for shooting time. I'm not going to lose it.

Really happy with it, and the battery life is fantastic. Haven't run out of battery underwater yet. I do turn on and off while underwater, or put in Pause mode during a dive, to save on battery life. I don't let it run non-stop like some people do. That makes editing a nightmare IMHO. I like have 2-3 dozen clips per dive to edit.

editing.... I use Pinnacle software, been using it for video for about 10 yrs and just can't bring myself to change. Currently using version 10, I think.
im considering upgrading from the hero 3 black. i use polar pro filter and sola 2000 lights tray and pole. wondering if the upgrade is worth it. seems my last dives the vids were shaky mind you i have it in 4k at 60p. vids didnt seem as sharp as before. battery life 1 hour max. i shut it down and turn on after every vid taken. seems it used to be sharper before. maybe settings are too high. using a sandisk ultra extreme card also

Personally, I see zero reason to record in 4k when you don't watch it back on a 4k big screen tv. Most people watch videos on their laptop or desktop, so you don't need that definition. It saves battery life, too, when you record at the lower rate. I can't imagine how big a file that creates.
Also, the shakiness can be because you have it on a pole. I have mine on a little tray and arm, that I can hold more steady, especially with any current, like Cozumel.
The GoPro5 is a huge improvement over the 3, too.

my tv is 4k i edit add music and run through a hard drive on a 65" screen. not many do this but thats why i want highest def

thnx,,,,,,,,,,,,

Yay! Robin is back. I miss your videos. Great job as usual.

Bring 'em on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom