GoPro-6 Field Of View (FOV) Adjustment Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soloist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We purchased a new GoPro-6 because we were interested in the video stabilization and improved video quality. However, I’m disappointed with this camera. Why? Because of inexplicable FOV (field of view) limitations. When the camera is powered off or shuts itself down the FOV resets to the default setting. I am referring to the slide adjuster on the right side of the FOV adjustment screen. The camera reverts to the widest possible setting. In other words, it defaults to the bottom of the slider bar. All other camera settings and preferences are correctly retained, why not the FOV? To make matters worse the FOV can’t be adjusted when the camera is in the dive housing.

I realize this is subjective. I’m sure there are many perfectly happy GoPro-6 users out there, but I am not one of them. To me the results have the subject appearing far away and the outer edges distorted. Regardless, shouldn’t the user have control over their camera?

I typically use the MEDIUM field of view or sometimes the NARROW on our old, emphasis on old, GoPro-4 and the camera retains the user settings. For this reason I continue to use the GoPro-4. Unfortunately the GoPro-6 is less versatile than its predecessors. I discussed this issue in detail with one of the GoPro support staff and about updating the software to no avail, so essentially divers can go pound sand.

Does anyone else find the FOV settings on the GoPro-6 to be an issue or a limitation?

Last edited:
Yes. Although the Hero6 offers much in improved stabilization, dynamic range, resolution, and frame rates it has given up much in terms of usability, especially for the diver. I find it much more difficult to adjust settings and many settings cannot be adjusted underwater. The frustrating part is most of this is simply firmware. I'm not sure if these changes were by oversight or intentional.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom