Gopro 6 vs Olympus TG 5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rachpreach

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
So I have been wanting to purchase a new action camera to film underwater when diving. What I had been using was a Gopro hero 3 with a extendable pole and red filter. I mainly would just film and then pull stills for photos post editing. I am in love with the Gopro hero 6 because of the image stablization and the improved image quality. But I like the macro qualities of the olympus. I just need some guidance on which on to go with. Can the Olympus be attached to where it can be used with one hand to film? Any other suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks

So I have been wanting to purchase a new action camera to film underwater when diving. What I had been using was a Gopro hero 3 with a extendable pole and red filter. I mainly would just film and then pull stills for photos post editing. I am in love with the Gopro hero 6 because of the image stablization and the improved image quality. But I like the macro qualities of the olympus. I just need some guidance on which on to go with. Can the Olympus be attached to where it can be used with one hand to film? Any other suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks
Why not just take still pictures? In which case the TG5 is the winner.

Why not just take still pictures? In which case the TG5 is the winner.
Well because I like to just take in the entire dive while filming. If I see something I want to focus on then I will hone in on it. Ive just never had a camera just for pictures. I like to have video in case I see something amazing like a shark or manta ray. Can the olympus do well with video?

Well because I like to just take in the entire dive while filming. If I see something I want to focus on then I will hone in on it. Ive just never had a camera just for pictures. I like to have video in case I see something amazing like a shark or manta ray. Can the olympus do well with video?
Yes

There is however a bit of a design flaw with the TG5. The battery and memory card are right next to each other and I've had the camera shut down for the rest of the dive due while filming in 1080p 60fps, possibly due to overheating from the 128GB Sandisk Ultra (microSDXC with adapter) memory card...

Last edited:
There is however a bit of a design flaw with the TG5. The battery and memory card are right next to each other and I've had the camera shut down for the rest of the dive due while filming in 1080p 60fps, possibly due to overheating from the 128GB Sandisk Ultra (microSDXC with adapter) memory card...
This is a good reason for an aluminum housing instead of a polycarbonate, to get better heat transfer out of the camera and into the water. Should help with fogging, too.

How would it help with fogging?

Go Pro vs TG5 = lunch lady vs playboy bunny. One is a true dive camera, one is a wanna be. I have a TG and it was the best money I have ever spent. I have now added a case.....sea and sea strobes........and kracken video lights. My little set up is not so little but takes incredible vids and photos

Last edited:
Really interested in this post as am about to defect from Canon to a tg5. Can I ask how the TG5 is without lights ?

Thanks in advance

Go Pro vs TG5 = lunch lady vs playboy bunny. One is a true dive camera, one is a wanna be. I have a TG and it was the best money I have ever spent. I have now added a case.....sea and sea strobes........and kracken video lights. My little set up is not so little but takes incredible vids and photos

Yea I really dont want a big complicated setup. Thats why I dont think I would want the TG5.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom