Gopro 6 vs Olympus TG 5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have seen amazing videos of the flip pro 6 that has the macromini lens included from Backscatter. The details that the lens can pick up is pretty awesome. I wanted to pick one up on there website but the kit is insanely expensive and then If I decided I wanted to return it, its store credit or exchange only. And they have the competetion cornered, there is nothing else like it out there. Or at least I havent found it. :(

It looks pretty amazing. I'd get one if I were still using my GoPro...I know exactly how small these critters are that they are taking video of - these are all things you would find in Lembeh. The detail that it is capturing is pretty amazing for a GoPro. I'd be willing to bet that you won't return it.... :) With that said, I bought my camera rig from Backscatter in Monterey and their customer service and responsiveness is amazing, even after the purchase. Rob is awesome and always answers my random questions through e-mail or phone quickly and honestly. They're not pushy and really listen to your needs and wants. I highly recommend them.

I think I want to buy this for Mr. OOO! Thanks for putting this on my radar. It's way better than what I was using before...and excellent proof that it does make a difference on a GoPro. :)

I have seen amazing videos of the flip pro 6 that has the macromini lens included from Backscatter. The details that the lens can pick up is pretty awesome. I wanted to pick one up on there website but the kit is insanely expensive and then If I decided I wanted to return it, its store credit or exchange only. And they have the competetion cornered, there is nothing else like it out there. Or at least I havent found it. :(

I have a macromate mini setup that i would happily sell you if you are looking...FYI, you don't need their whole kit. You can just mount the lens one of these:

Amazon.com : Snake River Prototyping BlurFix3+ 55 Adapter for HERO3/3+/4 Camera Housing : Camcorders : Electronics

I'm also considering getting the TG-5. I would appreciate if any of you can share a sample of some of the photos they took (and if possible specify if you were using extra accessories)

The samples I've seen online were all great but they were all from websites that want to sell you one...

Send me your email Addy and I can send you some. I have had a tg for 3 years and have 10,000 pics.....some even came out good :) I do have a sea and sea strobe which makes all the difference IMHO. Just added video lights but won't have copies till after May Bonaire trip

Camera with casing only. Light source is a handheld flashlight, or the built-in flash.

Bonus, video:
EDIT: I forgot this board shrinks and compresses photos... Use this link, click images, then rightclick and open in new tab to see full size(4000x2256): Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Also it should be noted that I'm a newbie with it, the camera can do better in skilled hands, I haven't even touched the much touted microscope macro feature yet. These were mostly taken on auto settings.

Last edited:
@kaerius
Nice video of the turtle!!! The one thing that stands out is the person with the 1 million lumen flashlight blasting the poor turtle in the face while its trying to eat. As a person who takes photos also, there is nothing more than the overzealous flashlight wielding fellow diver in a dive group that has to have the biggest brightest and most modern gizmo on the dive boat. Lights that make the ocean floor look like the sun is out, electronics with bright LED screens and blinking this and that and beeping noises. ugh it really burns my butt!! I've lost many a good chance to get a nice critter shot because of these people. I think the test should be simple, if you can't look into the light then you can't dive with the light. SMH

@kaerius
Nice video of the turtle!!! The one thing that stands out is the person with the 1 million lumen flashlight blasting the poor turtle in the face while its trying to eat. As a person who takes photos also, there is nothing more than the overzealous flashlight wielding fellow diver in a dive group that has to have the biggest brightest and most modern gizmo on the dive boat. Lights that make the ocean floor look like the sun is out, electronics with bright LED screens and blinking this and that and beeping noises. ugh it really burns my butt!! I've lost many a good chance to get a nice critter shot because of these people. I think the test should be simple, if you can't look into the light then you can't dive with the light. SMH
My flashlight is pretty bright, probably 1500 lumen or so(chinese claimed 5000 lumen), but I try to point it to the side or behind the animals, and just illuminate them with the edge of the cone of light. It's why the corals in the background are so lit in the video. See also the photo of the crab for a perfect example.

Or this video, of a cuttlefish who got quite curious about it: (and yes the lights that point directly at it in the beginning are other people's).

Last edited:
Well because I like to just take in the entire dive while filming. If I see something I want to focus on then I will hone in on it. Ive just never had a camera just for pictures. I like to have video in case I see something amazing like a shark or manta ray. Can the olympus do well with video?
I have the TG4 and it takes pretty good video. Its not great but its pretty good and I know the TG5 is supposed to be even better.

Back
Top Bottom