GoPro 7 Hero Black vs 8: Worth $80 more?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find little difference between the video of the GoPro 7 or GoPro 8. I do find that the GoPro 8 takes better pictures. If you are only taking pictures, GoPro 7 works great. If you are wanting to add some pictures to the mix, I feel the GoPro 8 is a better option.

I prefer the Backscatter "FLIP" filters.

Awesome! Thanks for your thoughts. I gather I'd focus on video only. Thanks so much!

Why not just bite the bullet and get the 9? It will give you the best video. if it lasts a few years, the extra $ is probably not going to make a difference. The only issue with the 9 is that it is about 30% larger than the 8. Possibly an issue if worn on a mask or head strap, otherwise probably nothing.

Why not just bite the bullet and get the 9? It will give you the best video. if it lasts a few years, the extra $ is probably not going to make a difference. The only issue with the 9 is that it is about 30% larger than the 8. Possibly an issue if worn on a mask or head strap, otherwise probably nothing.

Great question. The GoPro 9 is an additional $100 above the 8, so that's $170 above the 7. Is the GoPro 9 $170 USD better than the 7? I don't know, but would love to know thoughts.

I voted with my wallet, I still own the 7. The form factor change of the 9 isn't something I'm willing to deal with right now.

On the go pro site, I don't even see a 7 listed. the difference in the 8 and 9 is less than $100, if you want a spare battery, which you probably do. I went from a 4 to an 8 and was pretty happy. The improved low light resolution is a consideration underwater.

On the go pro site, I don't even see a 7 listed. the difference in the 8 and 9 is less than $100, if you want a spare battery, which you probably do. I went from a 4 to an 8 and was pretty happy. The improved low light resolution is a consideration underwater.
Thanks! Amazon is selling the 8, new with diving housing for $250. So it's a significant difference between 8 & 9.

Slightly OT... what's the battery life like these days? Had a 3 Black until it flooded (because the battery life was dire and I didn't properly close the housing after turning it on).

I have a Paralenz which is very reliable so can do all my dives no matter how deep. Would expect the GoPro probably takes better photos/videos nowadays.

FWIW, though more money, I'd look at the 2nd gen Paralenz. No filters needed and I like the depth and temp overlay. For a straight up action camera without doing macro photography I've yet to see where GoPro has an advantage, with the exception of cost. But you don't need to buy housings and filters.

The good thing about the Paralenz is it's very robust and definitely doesn't flood -- have taken it on hundreds of dives with many dives in the 50m-65m/180'-220' range. The downside to the Paralenz is it can be awkward to use, particularly with thick gloves and in the dark. It 'buzzes' when you turn the dial, but you can't feel this buzzing with thick gloves. What it needs is a nice big lump on the control ring so you can feel it (hmmm, maybe a blob of epoxy glue would be enough - repeated to make it stick up). With no screen, there's no framing of the shot.

The main use for it is to be permanently attached to my umbilical light such that should I meet a mermaid, I'll have photographic evidence. Aside from that I rarely use the camera underwater. The good news is it just seems to work when I do use it.

Hence wondering if the GoPros have improved. With a proper housing it'll work deeper and the housing should be robust and the GoPro has a rear screen which would be good for framing the shot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom