GoPro 7 Hero Black vs 8: Worth $80 more?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great question. The GoPro 9 is an additional $100 above the 8, so that's $170 above the 7. Is the GoPro 9 $170 USD better than the 7? I don't know, but would love to know thoughts.

I would bite the bullet and get the 9. The 5 6 7 all share the same case design. The 8 has a unique case that isn’t the compatible the the ones before or after. Hopefully the new 9 will stabilize the case design for a few years.

I faced the same decisions a while ago. The 9 had just come out recently, but the 8 was still being sold everywhere. The 7 was already getting very hard to find.

I checked out a lot of reviews plus the specs of the 8 and 9, and came to the conclusion that most of the added 'stuff' in the 9 was designed for land video, especially the sports stuff. All the things I wanted for UW video and photos was in the 8. Given the 'at the time' price difference, buying the 8 was an easy choice for me.

I have not regretted getting the 8 at all, and it's now been on a lot of dives and after a few initial teething problems (operator error) I have had a blast with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom