GoPro 7 with tray and lights with or without filters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you can pull much better stills from 4K footage.

True enough! If you've got the card space, time, and computing horsepower, certainly go for the higher res. It just depends on what you want from the final product.

Whilst I agree with the resolution statement above, for the most part, you can pull much better stills from 4K footage. Not Z7 level, but decent. I actually carry a hero 6 on the top of my nauticam housing for my Nikon Z7 and have occasionally been able to pull a better stills from the GoPro than the Z7 when focus/stability etc has been a bit of an issue.

Another reason to shoot a higher resolution is so you can crop/section the image in post processing. I do that a lot to cut out focus or warping issues at the edges or eliminate nearby distractions but you lose resolution when you do that.

Just tried out the time warp at the hotel, neat feature!

Think I'll aim for shooting underwater in 1440 at 60fps.... if that is a good fps.

I'm pretty excited to try out the nightsea on tomorrow nights dive. Thanks for the tips!

That should be fine.

It’s all about trying to stay as steady as possible and close to subject as you can on nightdive to cut down on backscatter. The FPS is less of an issue on nightdive as the issue on fast moving subjects will be more about backscatter and lighting. It’s tough to avoid hotspots and lighting up all the substrate when it’s dark and you are tracking a moving subject. That’s why when you see most of the cool nightdive video from Indonesia/Philippines it tends to be static footage/nudis and crabs etc. Remember to try and use a light/focus cone technique with your lights as wide lighting will just light up all the snow.

And don’t focus too much on capturing the fluro footage on your gopro. It won’t be great... just enjoy it with the mask filter :)

Was just planning tomorrow and the 5th dive is a ND. I probably will just go with the fluro and take it easy. Thanks for the tip!

How did this all go? Interested in the flouro thoughts...

Hey, I just got back from the trip, 24 dives in 7 days. Almost 20 hours of clips but it was a great, GREAT trip.

The Fluoro light was a lot of fun. I was able to drift a short distance away from the rest of the group. (still within buddy range) Entire sections lit up like it was Avatar and it was a visual treat for the eyes. Taking a video with the GP hero 7 with the yellow filter was difficult. Needed to be extremely steady and I dont think I had it on the right settings. Our 2 night dives were both the 5th dive of the day, so kinda tired at that point. I've got a lot of video to go through, but here are some screen shots.
GH013235_a.jpg
GH013235_fluoro anenome- flood.jpg
GH013235_fluoro anenome.jpg
GH013235_FLuro.jpg
GH013236 Fireworm under the nightsea light.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom