GoPro and correct filter usage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joel2693

Registered
Reaction score
I bought a GoPro 12 and the polar pro filter set. I am new to snorkeling and videography. I have a snorkeling excursion to Biscayne National Park.one of the sites is Brewster Reef which the dive company said 25 feet in depth. I assume since I’m just snorkeling I would need the red filter which is rated at 15-70 feet. There is a snorkeling filter that is goood for 2-15 feet. Which one would be best. Also is snorkeling to 25 feet as a newbie a safe option. Thank you for your thoughts.

25 feet is pretty deep for a new freediver, but doable I suppose. Some basic instruction in equalisation would be essential if you are not familiar with this, otherwise, stay within a few feet of the surface. Given the depth you are likely to dive to and use a GoPro, I don't think you will need a filter at all, especially with good natural light, but of the choices you have presented the snorkelling filter would be best.

I bought a GoPro 12 and the polar pro filter set. I am new to snorkeling and videography. I have a snorkeling excursion to Biscayne National Park.one of the sites is Brewster Reef which the dive company said 25 feet in depth. I assume since I’m just snorkeling I would need the red filter which is rated at 15-70 feet. There is a snorkeling filter that is goood for 2-15 feet. Which one would be best. Also is snorkeling to 25 feet as a newbie a safe option. Thank you for your thoughts.
25 feet deep could be considered deep for one person, and the bottom of a shallow pool for another. Your fitness level and comfort under water would be part of that equation.

Assuming you are fit, the next part of the "is it safe or wise" equation is whether or not your executing the diving with proper surface and underwater buddy support. People have died in a 5 ft. deep pools practicing breath hold training alone. If you push your limit the risk of passing out and drowning is real.

A fit person has the capability to easily hold their breath to depths of 25 ft. and spend a couple minutes at depth. But doing it alone is against freediving norms for anyone.

As for the red filter, no, it is not necessary at that depth. In fact, modern post editing video software negates the need for filters down to around 60 ft. in clear water. Using a red filter for snorkeling will likely leave the majority of your video footage unusable as everything from the surface down to around 20 ft. will have an unnatural red hue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom