GoPro battery tester

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefHound

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have a 3-battery charger and total of 5 batteries for my Hero6. Invariably, I end up with batteries in my camera case and I do not know if they are depleted or charged. Especially when it has been weeks since I last used the camera. There are plenty of battery testers for more conventional batteries but a quick search on Amazon turned up nothing for me. It would need to be pretty cheap since my current method of just popping them into the camera and turning it on is free. But it would be more convenient if I didn't need to mess with the camera at all. Ideally, it would be compatible with all Gopro versions.

One for the 3.7v lithiums would be nice, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Plastic-Protective-Storage-AHDBT-401/dp/B01HBARDWO

If you get battery cases you can take a paint marker and mark one side green and one side red, or +/-, or charged/uncharged. Then when you insert the batteries in the case orient them based on their charge status. Take them off the charger and put them in the case so the logo is facing the charged,+, or green side. When you finish a battery take it out of the camera and put it in a case so that the logo is facing the other side. This is the most foolproof way I have found to store batteries. Another way to actually test the batteries is to get a cheap multimeter from harbor freight and you can check the voltage.

Batteries only need to be tested once before a dive trip, and only if they've been sitting a while. No need to buy a charger that will take up even more space in your luggage. It's all about protocol.

Charge all the batteries. When you got the green light in the charger indicating "full", swap them out. No need to put them in the camera or on a tester. Once you've got all the batteries charged, throw them in the case, along with a plastic ziplock bag that you label USED. As you deplete each battery during your dive trip, it comes out of the camera and goes into the USED bag until you get back to your hotel or vacation rental or wherever it is that you spend the night, and as you charge each spent battery it goes back in your case with the other charged batteries.

Same thing with batteries for other rechargeable devices.

I didn't realize there were cases for Gopro batteries. Just ordered some. I already have cases for lithiums.

Yes, there are organizational procedures to help keep track of depleted and charged batteries. But things have a way of getting disorganized. One could keep track of any type of battery yet there are lots of testers on the market for other types of batteries, just wondering if anyone knew of one for Gopro batteries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom